Dot Com Toolbar Spyware - Heads up!

Thread: Dot Com Toolbar Spyware - Heads up!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Dot Com Toolbar Spyware - Heads up!

There is a nasty little spyware proggie being distributed through a Windows Media Player exploit that causes IE to crash.

The Dot Com Toolbar spyware can be removed with good ol' Spybot Search & Destroy. I figured this out after a slew of phone calls came in about IE crashing. Of course everything in the organization that cannot be figured out immediately becomes a "security" issue.

The common elements were:
    1) People were out trying to get online music instead of working.
    2) IE generated the standard crash message with the "Send Error" option.
    3) This horrible spyware was found on all of the machines.

Anyway, heads up to all the poor helpdesk folks.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

RE: Evilness in Spy Ware Toolbar

Is there a patch for the exploit? Is there a way to patch IE on your own?

did you happen to take note of the process name??
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I'll go look at the process name instead of the spyware name. As far as a patch is concerned, I don't think there is one yet.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Lightbulb Possibly the best spyware solution

www.doxdesk.com
    its a very nice solution. I have implemented the JS piece into our intranet, and as that is the default page (forced) of our company, it does the job very nicely and has excellent resources for their removal.

Some of the time, it may report the wrong version or incorrect spyware, but it is very reliable in detecting them to some degree, and that is a tremendous help.