Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan failure

fan failure

Yesterday my PC started emitting some annoying and high pitched noise, that made me think that the fan was working like crazy, then I started to get this weird messages from programs not responding, etc, could this be a sign of overheating??? I opened my box but found everything looked the same. What is the proper way to detect a fan failure?
    System specs:
    Dell dimension 8200
    winxp pro
    256 ram

Haven't altered the cooling system in any way, my box has been working great for 1.5-2 yrs, never had a problem like this on any PC I've owned so I don't know how to replace a fan/cooling system. If you think this is needed please point my in the right direction to do it properly.

thanks
    J

If your not sure that that noise was coming from the fan, then turn the computer on again and listen to the fan. If it does end up being the fan, (in all probablity it is) then it should be as simple as unscrewing some screws from the case. I've never dealt with a dell system before but it shouldn't be hard. Just make sure youi get the correct size.

But from what you've described though, it sounds like your bearings on your fan going out which would explain the noise, then the fan wouldn't cool the CPU very good which would then result in system instability.
    =

This might help you if you have to install a new fan(s).

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by DjM
    This might help you if you have to install a new fan(s).

Cheers:
    The DELL PowerEdge Servers are a lot different than the DELL Dimensions so this may not be the best guide. I will look and see if I can find something on this topic as a guide to removing and replacing fans in DELL's. This also could be a power supply fan making the noise. I have had a power supply make a terrible noise because one of the fan blades had broken in half.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod

The DELL PowerEdge Servers are a lot different than the DELL Dimensions so this may not be the best guide. I will look and see if I can find something on this topic as a guide to removing and replacing fans in DELL's. This also could be a power supply fan making the noise. I have had a power supply make a terrible noise because one of the fan blades had broken in half.
    Sorry CXGJarrod, it's about the only thing I could find on fan replacement at Dell. I thought it might give him a bit of info.

Cheers:
    DjM

No problem. I just didnt want him to think, "Hey why are my hard drives not in the front of the machine or something like that.... "
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I joined this site because I was looking around for the same solution, odd enough I have the same exact model from dell as you except I have XP Home Edition SP2 =/ And I received the error yesterday too D: This doesn't seem right at all. Seems like these PCs just have a certain lifespan then just die out on everyone.

Went to dell, read the forums and there's been many topics on this. What was sugested was that if the fan was indeed working fine just clear the log so the error doesn't show up again, if it shows up again then you might have a problem.

And I received the error yesterday too D:
    lol

If you look realy closely.. the other posts are 12mths old.. the coincidence is your reading the thread exactly one year after it was first started..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Seems like these PCs just have a certain lifespan then just die out on everyone.
    You may well be right there....as with all from the "big names"

Undies is right, you are a year behind................but Dell are the same?..............I would not spend $3000 on a new one

My views

Ah lol, sorry =x well I wasn't really paying attention at the date =/ I'm just trying to find a solution to the problem =/