Thread: Linux Version????

Linux Version????

I have had a lot of problems with RedHat 9 configuring my sound card, so i thought about a new version. Which one will work better???
    (and my sound card is linux compatible because i had redhat 7.3 and it worked fine...)
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

did u tried 'sndconfig' ??? well changing linux distros or versions is neither the correct way nor a gud suggestion......try to solve the prob..post more info here...and u may discover things u dint knew
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

well if sndconfig is a command it diddnt work for some reason... and I wouldnt know enough to tell you more info anyway... Im not really sure what kind of sound card i even have.

if you typed sndconfig, did it give you an error message or just sit there. If it said path not found or anything like that try typing:

whereis sndconfig

then type the full path that it gives you...I'm not in front of my linux box right now or I'd tell you where it is.

Are you using x-windows (gui interface with windows and a task bar on the bottom) or do you use the command line (looks alot like dos)?

Did you install 9.0 over 7. ?

If so you have to insert distro disk 3 before some of the crap for x compatibility and legacy will go on

sndconfig probably wont be in you're path try /sbin/sndconfig and it will probe for your soundcard. Another thing have you turned the sound on ?i havent used redhat 9 so i dont know where it is but it shouldnt be too hard to find
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Exclamation OSS vs. ALS

RedHat 9 has the dubious distinction of probably being the last distro to keep with the OSS version of sound support.

My suggestion would be to recompile the kernel (or, better yet, upgrade to 2.6testX) with ALS support. It has mucho better support, and is massively easier to troubleshoot.

SInce you have redhat, I'll compile a kernel for you if you send me two files that tell me about your machine. I need:
    /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (it tells me what hardware to include in the compiling/modules etc)
    /boot/config-2.4.18-14(smp) (it tells me what was compiled in the kernel that you are using now)

if you can send me those two files, I can compile a kernel for you. Then it is as simple as putting the files in the /boot directory and editing your grub.conf file to boot the new kernel.

OR, I can tell you what to look for in compiling your own version

Open your hwconf file (best to print it out) and see what is loaded. There is no reason to include the bajillion network cards and IDE controllers that are inside the kernel by default. A lean kernel is a mean kernel.

Open your config(kernel # and type) file. This is all the crud that is in your kernel. Figure out what you need, and what you would like.

download the kernel and tar -xjvf it into /usr/src.

if you are brave, you can use that config file after editing it (which is basically the instructions for the make of the kernel), but I suggest using the nice make menuconfig interface. There are others you can use, including make config (the original) and make xconfig (for an X session), but I have had the best luck with menuconfig.

The good news is that RedHat apparently thinks that kernels are huge, and makes a 100mb boot partition by default. That gives you about 60 kernels you can build before having a problem. You won't build that many.

If you simply do a make menuconfig, then make, make modules, make modules_install, and make install, the kernel will make its own edits to the grub.conf file and give you a new default boot kernel. the old kernel that works (without sound) will still be available if things break, but trial and error is a great way to learn about the linux kernel.

Some things that may make it easier. Always compile in support for ram disks and Initial Ram disks into the kernel. Trust me. The kernel hands itself over to this "virtual" disk while it mounts the disks correctly using the correct drivers. If this isn't enabled, it breaks.

Suffice to say, just keep it in. If you don't have a scsi device, you can disable the whole scsi section.

if you don't have any USB stuff, WAN stuff, bluetooth stuff, APM (power management) etc... just drop the whole section.

For a home machine, remember to just enable what you need, but think to the future. If you are going to get a USB mouse, don't compile a kernel without support just because you don't have it now.

This is getting tedius, and I don't want to wast my time or anyone elses. If you need more help, just post here.
    No, I\'m not interested in developing a powerful brain. All I\'m after is just a mediocre brain, something like the president of American Telephone and Telegraph Company.
    -- Alan Turing on the possibilities of a thinking
    machine, 1943.

thanx for all the posts i tried sndconfig and it gave me an error message and i as for Turning_machine i may have to take advantage of your offer to compile my kernel for me...(i tried to do it myself but i got lost and confused...sorry)

Lightbulb Don't forget...

I need those two files. Also, any specs you have on the computer would probably make it easier.

Specs on the video, sound, cpu, amount of ram, dual processor or single processor, etc etc.

Also, if you know your motherboard model, that would be great.

I'm lazy.
    No, I\'m not interested in developing a powerful brain. All I\'m after is just a mediocre brain, something like the president of American Telephone and Telegraph Company.
    -- Alan Turing on the possibilities of a thinking
    machine, 1943.