Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overclocked but overheated as well

overclocked but overheated as well

okay i need cheap ( and when i say this i mean it >50$) ways to cool my processer in an overclocked 386 pent. not that it matters but i need to cool the sucker down more than what my fan can provide. i looked at specilty water cooling and freezers and such but they are way to expensive. can anone give me a suggestion as to how this can be done remember cheap...
    chown -r us ./bases

Sometimes a case fan (or a better one) can make a huge difference. Mine brought my average CPU temp down by 7 or 8 degrees. But the big question here is...

Why on God's green earth would you be willing to spend 40 dollars to overclock a 5 dollar processor?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

werd i dont see why you would OC a 386 but if you are looking for a better cooler you could check ebay they prolly got a buncha 30 for a dollar auctions
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

Hi folks,

Striek................I guess it goes like: "The quest for knowledge should not be questioned" ......sorry, I do the same sort of things myself, so I kind of understand the requirement. I might even say "Sir, your question was as pertinent as it was irrelevant", no offence intended mate, just that I like messing around too

mnchur.........

You did not give me the overclocking data, nor where your fan is..........I am guessing on the 386 itself?

Here are a few thoughts:

1. The case on an average 386 is generally cramped, and not well designed (more info on the kit please) It probably does not have a fan other than the power supply's one. So you could add another...........preferably one of those exhaust fans that take up an ISA slot (I doubt that you have PCI in a 386? not that it matters, they only take up an outlet port) They will shift about 42 cfm, and I get them for just under £5 (GBP) You neeed to get that hot air out of the case for anything else to work.

2. Any 386 and most 486s I have seen did not have a heatsink, or only had a heatsink. Some had fans attatched direct to the processor surface. The ideal is a heatsink with attached fan.
    I would budget on picking one of those units up for around £5(GBP)

3. The thermal compound between your heatsink and processor surface is VITAL........the cheap white stuff is useless.............you need SILVER.......at around £5(GBP)...yeah, yeah, I know, diamond or composite carbon is better, but where do you get it?....and the rule was <$50

BTW mnchur, you got that wrong way round > is "greater than"...........or have I had too much to drink?....impossible!!!

Right, enough nonsense...back to the task:

What I have suggested so far should reduce your temperature by about 15 degrees Farenheit, and will cost you about $15, on the grounds that $1=£1 when it comes to IT spend.

Please have a think about this and PM & e-mail me so that we can progress this project a bit further. I am reluctant to do this in the open forum, as I do not think that it would interest many of the regular members?

I really do need the full kit specs though, and any pictures you might have.

Good Luck

Johnno

Point taken nihil. I'm currently racking my brain wondering exactly why an improperly grounded extension cord would slow my connection down, when I've already solved the problem with a different cord. It's a sixty second solution but I'm looking for an answer to the problem that might take me a week to find. All because I simply want to know why. I understand now. Knowledge is power.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Striek,

No problem mate...even contributed a bit to your thread....problem is, I am over here so I cannot check stuff out physically... I guess you have to live with it.......I do know EMF/EMP though....but without physical analysis i cannot help....................just bin the cable and continue drinking lieutenant....that is a direct order

Cheers

Johnno

the best bet would be thermal paste, a decent heatsink and fan combo and maybe a fan for the case. This shouldnt cost too much, the heatsink and fan for the CPU would prob cost the most. Another thing could be your location of the system. Is it near somewhere hot, Is there enough space around the cae for proper air circulation - u might want to move it to another location. is there enough space in the case for air circulation - u might have to rewire or move components that you can around to get optimum space for air to circulate. is the internal and external of the case dirty - u might want to clean the system. dirt and dust contribute to the system heating up faster as these slow down heat dissipation.

Thes are a couple of things i could think of that might help. Most of them dont cost a cent.

I'm getting to old for this..... ....Of course the simplest and cheapest thing to do is reset the clock, but then the most expensive thing to do is build a new system....<that's faster>.....

Big gap there, lots of possibilities....

SQ....

Fans arent taht expensive anymore so your best bet would be to upgrade to a better fan/heatsink combo on your cpu. Then if you have any wireloom around i would set all your wires into these, if you dont have wireloom you can always break out some electical tape and tape your wires up. I like to round my cables, you have to be careful when you do this or you could slice into the copper wires so its not really a recomendation. And then when you have a less cramped case that can get better airflow. Put a couple more intake and exhaust fans into it. Mine has 3 fans in it an it keeps it around a nice temperature.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

thanks for all the posts...but unfortuately the comp is now fried...somehow i ended up in kernel panic so this thread is null and void. as my new need is to get the comp working again. i will post a new thread on this later. thanks again....
    chown -r us ./bases