Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overclocked but overheated as well

Damn that sucks. well good luck to you
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

I know you said you don't need suggestions at this point for cooling, but I did have a question and one product to recommend (incase there are others out there that need some cooling products).

What exactly is a 386 pent? I'm kind of cofused as to what type of machine you were attempting to cool. Are you talking about an overclocked 333 pentium II? Or are we really talking about an old 386 that is overclocked? Just wanting a little bit of clarification.

Anyway, the product that I recommend is from www.pctoys.com but you can pick them up at CompUSA. For the pentium IV folks out there you can use what I use which is a QuietMaxx 6500, found here. I'm overclocking a 2.4ghz pentium IV at 2.8ghz and a 482 bus speed (I haven't done anything with voltage though). It's running stable at about 70* F at idle and around 100* F under strain playing stuff like BF1942 for extended periods. The pictures don't do the heat sink or fan justice as the sink is HUGE (bigger than my hand by half) and the fan is a 92mm fan with a variable speed controller... anyway I'm happy with their cooling capabilities and highly recommend them.

My roommate is using the AMD version of what I have and he's seeing some decent cooling from his but I don't know the numbers off of the top of my head.

Good luck on getting your system rebuilt, and finding a cooling product for your needs in the future... sheesh I sound like an ad don't I?

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

an old 386...i know why would i do something like that whay spend the $$ etc. well i dont have much money got the kit for free from my school and needed a processer to try it on i didn't have the money to risk an expensive processor on my first overclock attempt.
    chown -r us ./bases

Hey mnchr,

PM me with a snail mail addy of the college...........plus name of your principal's secretary...........I will send you some kit to play with............got a few 486s.........shame about the 386....you went too far ahead of the squad on that one....It is a problem trying to help from this far away.

Cheers

EDIT: I do trust you...why not...via your school I can send you some stuff safely?...trust me, I am paranoid

Why not just go to ebay and get a cheap computer <50. http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...&sosortorder=1

I have won a couple of bids on old AMD 200's for under $50.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

i have a good laptop that i use for everything...the only reason i attempted overclocking is so i would have whatever knowledge i could garner from doing it... this was not part of one of my classes or anything just something i did on my own for fun. in fact strangely enough as a computer science major here i am not requried to take any classes on comp hardware
    chown -r us ./bases

Speaking of overcloking....can anyone post any good tutorial/links about overclocking....I got this pentium 1 comp.......just want to play with it.........thanks in advance

chown -r us ./bases

good to hear you trying to learn more than what the school teaches. the normally dont teach enough for you to do what you need outside. Anyway, sorry I cant help with the comp. We have a couple of spare comps here that we are trying to get rid of and if I was in the same area as you I would be happy to pass them over but its just too bad I am half way around the world.

Anyway, the ebay suggestion mmight be something worth considering. the prices are quite reasonable and the comps are normally decent.