Thread: Win2k getting verrrry annoying - Disappearing Tool Bar

Win2k getting verrrry annoying - Disappearing Tool Bar

Hello Ppl,

Of late, my windows machine has been getting a bit annoying. Over 2 weeks ago, the entire Tool bar in Windows Explorer ... disappeared. Nope, wasn't minimized or anything, just disappeared. Was annoying as the lack of a location bar is a hurdle in quickly navigating one's own computer. Anywayz, I was using 'Start -> Run', or Int Explorer. 2 weeks later, [aka, 4 minutes ago], the IE toolbar seems to have gone for a game of hide and seek... can't find the darn thing... I was just using IE, opened another window, and voila... no more URL/Tool bar.

Anyone might have an idea as to what happened, and why? Of course, God bless the guy/lass who could tell me how to get my tool bars back.

Danke,

Scim...

-- Go ahead, flame me if I'm being stupid... but do help me get my toolbars back...
    _scimitar_

Go to where your toolbar was suppose to be and right click and then click the one that your missing.

That should fix that. What I am guessing happened is that you right clicked at some point and didn't notice that you unclicked it. Now you could just do CTRL+O
    that will open Internet Exeplorer, and go from there.

That should do it for your question, anything else.

Oh and no one is going to Flame you for asking a dumb question, most of the time.

You would get flamed for being an ass. You were cool so I tried to help.

Hope that works

Jizz

Hi Scim,

If you are talking about the toolbar at the top of the screen, as opposed to the "tray" at the bottom, this does happen. I am not tekkie enough to know why, other than you are effectively being taken into "full page" mode; so the application or web page is using all the screen. Sometimes this does not seem to auto-reset as it should..............coding error/bug on the page, or in the application perhaps?

Whizzkid has given you the answer, ALSO check the "lock the toolbars" option even though it does seem to unlock of its own accord?

The tray at the bottom sometimes does the same. You just have to go into the settings, startup & taskbar menu, and check the autohide box. I don't know why, but this seems to reset itself every now and then ?

Please read this very carefully:

"There is NO such thing as a stupid question; the only stupidity lies in NOT asking questions"

Welcome to AO

Cheers

Thanx a ton Whiz!!
    Nope, right clicking didn't display any ToolBar Menu, the entire page was being displayed full-screen, with only the Page Header visible. It 'was'.. coz while I was trying to spread out me hand to press the O in Ctrl+O, [was using one hand, the other was preoccupied with a sandwich], ended up pressing one of the 'F' keys. Voila... tool bar was back. So played about with keys, [had to get another sandwich to replicate exact scenario].. and F11 was my damsel in shining armor! The same thing got my Windows Explorer working.. Oh yeah, found out that Alt+F4 reboots my computer.. :|

Thanx a ton again.. Whiz and Nihil. Funny thing though - my room mate, a Master's Student -Computer Sciences, suggested I backup my data and reinstall Win2k. I need a flamethrower.

Thanx again, bye
    _scimitar_

Actually Scim alt f4 closes the window you have open, until you have no more windows. And then it shutdowns.

But hey, Ugh Nihil I don't know I have heard some pretty dumbass questions.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=248836

That is proof, there are sometimes stupid questions.

But when in doubt either ask or post. Never hold something back. If you are curious and you want to know **** Pm me I will tell you if it is to stupid or ignorant.

Oh well back to the drinking.

Oh yeah, so you know the what is your roommate STUDYING TO BE.

Most people that run Networks quick answer is reinstall it takes less time to reinstall the OS then it does to, just play around or search to find the answer.

Hi guys,

You are quite right about the re-install syndrome................hey, I would do that if I know that it will trash any personal stuff they have on their box...teaches them a lesson....like read your contract?

On a more serious note, we usually attempt to recover if we can.

I liked the link Whiz but would say that there is a difference between a "question" and a "remark/comment"...being English, I make that distinction...or is the word "pedantic" , rather than English.

Anyways, it was nice to go into the field with our Saudi Arabian allies again...no offence there Scim.........and ask your room mate if he has considered accountancy...ENRON would be a nice start?

Cheers

Yeah Enron would be great.

He would have a long and great Career.