need win2k network help fast (sharing)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need win2k network help fast (sharing)

need win2k network help fast (sharing)

2 systems ... both are win2k...
    connected by netgear home router w/port forwarding disabled...

i'm trying to share a folder "C:\share" so i can access it from another computer .. both computers have file sharing enabled as well as client driver

they have different names "a" & "b" and both are members of workgroup "WORKGROUP" the problem is that when i do "net view" from the system that's sharing it it says

"error 6118 ... list of servers for this workgroup is not aviable"

when i do "nbtstat -a /-A" from the client.. in both cases it says "host not found"... althought i can ping the server

what am i doing wrong .. i need to do a large transfer fast ... please help

ps: no software firewalls are in place
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

if the name of the share is called share, then all you need to do is right click on my computer select map network drive. then type this in

\\192.168.0.1\share
    You'll also select what letter you want the drive to be. When it finishes it, you will have a new drive in My COmputer.
    Just repace the 192.168.0.1 that I put in there with the IP of the computer that the share is on.
    =

can you browse to it from network neighborhood?

how are addresses assigned? If they are static, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in your network properties.

are you using the machine name or ip address when you use the nbtstat program?

router: 192.168.0.1

computer a: 192.168.0.2
    computer b: 192.168.0.3
    xbox: 192.168.0.4

everyone is using DHCP

now i noticed that i cannot ftp into my xbox...

the error is "cannot open data stream to 192.168.0.2" this is the system i'm trying to ftp from

if i use GUI the *.0.3 still cannot see the host *.0.2

i used both -A & -a switch w/ nbtstat and no cigar
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

I didn't know you could FTP into xbox.

Did you try mapping a network drive?

Also, you can't FTP into anything unless you have a FTP server set up.

if 192.168.0.2 is the comp your trying to get to then the syntax for mapping a network drive should be \\192.168.0.2\Share
    =

yes dude ... w/ proper mod and software you can ftp into xbox... that's not the point I assume that since the ftp is TCP based somehow i cannot open backwards data channel

*.0.2 is the system that i wanted to share but now this very system seems blind as a bat.. it cannot see anything w/ net view not even itself...

and i do know the syntax

You say both computers can ping each other yet you can't connect to it.

This is a stupid question here, but you did right click the file you wanted to share and select that you wanted to share it.

I'm assuming you did so maybe the config of the card screwed up somewhere. You might try reinstalling the protocols and adapters.

Do you have other shares on other computers? If so can the problem computer see those shares?

/edit:

I wonder why you've been negged? I just go back into this thread and have noticed someone negged you.
    =

yes i shared the folder but i think i got even bigger problems now... ufffff

do you think that it's that f..er Zone Alarm... i heard it somehow stays running even if you take it out of Startup folder

AHHHH!!!

You have zone alarm. Even if you take it out of the startup folder, it should be running untill you restart your PC. If it is running it should be in you system tray. Find the Icon for it down there and right click then disable. If you don't see it down ther then press ctrl + alt + Del and see if you see it there.

I had a problem once with my network not being able to ping one computer. It ended up being that I forgot to set my network as a trusted zone.

What kind of bigger problems are you talking about.
    =

no no no... i have restarted the sytem like 10 times now and i still cannot see anything w/ net view or nbtstat. the "bigger problem" is that now i cannot ftp into the xbox from this sytem... i can ftp from *.*.0.3 but not from here ... since ftp is 2-way connection and the error i get from xbox is that data channel to *.*.0.2 (here) cannot be opend...

now i accually uninstalled anything w/ net bios .. i only left tcp/ip then i ipconfig/release & renew 'ed it... as you can see i can browse but i cannot ftp into any site...