Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Antipoints and status???

borrowed from a friend on another list:

Whiskey is any liquor distilled from the fermented mash of grain.

Bourbon: not less than 51% corn mash, plus malt and rye

Irish: technically, any whiskey made in Ireland, but generally meaning a barley mash

Scotch: single malt whiskey (but of course there are blends), generally distilled from barley mash
    I rather like a nice Bourbon, but I prefer a good single malt. Currently one of my favorites is The Balvenie 12 year Double Wood... the first 6 years are spent in a nice oak cask that previously held bourbon (imagine that) and the last 6 years are spent aging in a very good Spanish oak that previously held Sherry... adds some interesting contrasts. Very smooth with a decent woody taste and a hint of licorice while keeping a very full flavor. Ah, I think I need to open a new bottle tonight

oh and the Canadians also spell it whisky

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Well, you can say all you want about no whisk(e)y in America. But, I've wandered through some hollers in Kentucky and Tennessee where they make some butt-kickin' sippin' whisk(e)y. Some of it never gets past the mason jar stage, or gets the label slapped on.

And, then where was the North Carolina 'shine. Don't remember much more'n that.

balvine....now that sounds interesting. Although i don't normally indulge, when i do i enjoy a good sour mash...yeaahh buddy
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah, well I don't indulge anymore. Quit some time ago.

Now I just have other vices.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Tedob1
    balvine....now that sounds interesting. Although i don't normally indulge, when i do i enjoy a good sour mash...yeaahh buddy
    Balvine - Sister distillery to Glenfiddich <sp?> , next door in fact. The only Highland distillery to still malt their own barley over peat fires!

They do it in a variety of types but for smoothness I would reccommend the Double Wood.

My opinion: The best Scotch is this one

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Talisker - that's my choice. Love of a few drams of that on a cold wet miserable day (today). Nice peaty whisky from Skye.

YAY! steve.milner knows what I'm talking about. The last of the "old school" of scotch.

There are others out there that are better, but I still like my Balvenie Double Wood

oh and rapier57 - wow, I'm from North Carolina originally and I know all about the moonshine. Nothing quite like some Johnson county rot gut to wake you up. That stuff is STRONG. My dad used to use it to remove paint, and I knew some folks at the local 1/4 mile strip that would use that as an "octane additive" lol

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotch is great and all if you can take the charred taste....but I would recommend something in a nice Irish Whiskey. Say for example some Black Bush from Bushmill's in Northern Ireland.....oh just talking about it makes my mouth water.
    Check out the Big Brain on Brad!