Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to share DSL via network??

Post How to share DSL via network??

How can I share DSL to four other computers via network and how do I secure it?? Can I also set bandwidth for each computer?? Any info would be helpful, Thank you in advance to everynody that helped.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Easy.

www.linksys.com

For about $60, BEFSR41 4 port router firewall with switch. Also, ZoneAlarm Pro personal firewall integrates with the product. The router has a pretty robust admin console so that you may restrict IPs etc. but it does not have a Qos or throttle capability. There are other tools to deal with this that can be used on your local network.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

i would recommend A NetGear Splitter. i t doesn't cut your speed in half. Very easy to use. Also Cheap. I also belive that you can network with it.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Before you go out and invest in a router, check with your DSL provider. Usually DSL services will allow you multiple connections. With our DSL connection we are allowed to connect up to 8 computers each with a unique IP. If this is the case with your DSL provider you can simple purchase a hub.

Bandwidth management software: http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

"sumdumguy" showed me that site the other day

Connect the dsl modem to router w/firewall to your computer(s). Depending on OS enable network/dialup connections, enable tcp/ip and dchp, and password protect Once you get basic connectivity to all the above then you can concentrate a little more on security....Just be careful out there!

Good luck,
    SQ.....

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    One other alternative, depending upon your skill level, is to place a dual homed linux box (because it is free, not because Windows can't do it) and use IPTABLES and proxy traffic through the box. You'll need a hub and a spare box to use this method although it isn't a 5 minute process.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I share my DSL to 4 PC's using ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). I had an extra NIC(network card) that I put in one of the PC's, One goes to my DSL modem, the other to a hub. It works great even playing games such as Asheron's Call on all 4 at once.

You could also use a free proxy server
    ie. http://www.jana-server.de

its also a http ftp server

Yes , I use the Linksys 4 port router firewall router that thehorse13 had mentioned.. It works very well.. don't forget that it uses NAT (Network Address Translation) , which in otherwords make a bunch of computers that you are sharing look like one system...my setup right now i have a linux box behind my firewall running ftp , and a windows xp box incase a friend comes over ..and the router is very configurable through http from any networked box on you LAN.. The router has logging , so it logs every outgoing connection and every attempted incoming connection.. heh the first day i had my router up , like 50 script kiddies were scanning for sub seven.. ok im rambling..
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."