Thread: Nat firewall for xp

Nat firewall for xp

Hi i am just wondering if anybody out there knows of a nat firewall for windows xp that is free or really cheap
    \"An eye for an eye and the world would be blind\"
    (I dunno who said this)

sniper0wolf0 told me it was Ghandi Thanks

Not sure about "for xp", but smoothwall (linux firewall/router with nat) is for free if you got a extra pc laying around.

sorry its my sisters comp that has the internet connection i want to connect my pc in a network and the cable connection is beside her computer i dont think she will want me to put linux on her machine
    (I dunno who said this)

i dont know of any software programs but a hardware device is pretty cheap

check out dlink or linksys

or finally netgear

I hope this helps
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Thanks spyrus figured that would be the way id have to go
    (I dunno who said this)

woa... can I get one thing straight first... there is a cable connection going into your sisters PC... you want to network your PC to that and share her net connection... yes?

assuming that to be the case effectively you'll be using your sisters PC as a gateway computer ok?

Before I continue I'll say up front that getting a router to share the cable connection between the two computers would be the best option - I agree with everyone else on that.

But if you want a cheaper option..... assuming you already have network cards and cable for the networking bit.... your sis will need 2 NICs: one for the cable connection the other leading to your PC. Set up one of the free firewalls on your sisters PC... (e.g. ZA, Outpost, Sygate whatever) and then either use ICS to share the net connection or download AnalogX Proxy (its free) from here:
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

I used to use this kind of setup with AnalogX before I got a router (could never get ICS to work properly for some weird reason). It's not the most elegant of solutions but it works well enough and isn't too expensive - but if you do have the cash I would go for a router - Linksys or netgear are my fav's

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Zone, ICS is a friggin nightamre. You are not alone.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

RoadClosed - LOL... well glad to hear that I'm not alone with ICS - one of my friends used to use ICS at home with no problem (again before he got a router) so I thought I was just being thick in having to use a 3rd party app.... guess he was just lucky (assuming you like to rely on MS for everything - which I don't).

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes