Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Question.

Router Question.

Is there a way to change your routers ip? It's weird (to me), I know my ISP provides me with a dynamic ip, but my routers ip fails to change. Can anyone explain that? My "true" ip changes frequently, because every couple of weeks I disconnect my router and flush the dns and all that and I can see that it has changed. However, my routers ip stays the same even while my real ip address is changing.

I have heard some people say you can unplug your router and wait for your dns lease to expire and that will possibly change it. I tried that and it didn't work (if that’s even true). Any tips or tricks that I can try to force a change here, or is this not possible from my end?

Hi what sort of router are you using as how to do this will depend on your router
    \"An eye for an eye and the world would be blind\"
    (I dunno who said this)

sniper0wolf0 told me it was Ghandi Thanks

linksys befsx41.

Most home broadband routers can be set for a dynamnic IP. If you are on DSL, it should probably be set to use PPPoE, otherwise it should probably be on a simple dynamic address setting. Sounds like you have your router set to a static address. Did you RTFM? There might be something in there on that.

/edit
    Your owner's manual can be found at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsx41ug.pdf

It has instructions for dynamic IP addressing. Look them up under "obtain an IP address automatically"
    /edit
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I do have it set on "obtain ip address automatically" (dhcp). I'm on cable.

The manual for this router is located here ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf

What you want is on page 46 of this manual
    (I dunno who said this)

Not from what I'm seeing. If I'm correct the linksys manual only shows you how to change the internal ip addresses. The 192.168.x.x's

Its in chapter 8 configure the router it tells you to connect to the router via the web browser im looking at it right now.
    (I dunno who said this)

I'm sorry cytex, but I don't know what you're seeing. I don't see anywhere where it shows users how to change the external ip address of my linksys.

It says it right here page 46

Chapter 8 configure the router.

Part 4 The router supports five connection types dhcp,PPoE static ip address Ras and PPTP..............

Im sorry but i really dont want to type the whole lot out it is in pdf format i copy and paste dont work .......

Go to the link up above go to page 25 in acrobat its right their
    (I dunno who said this)