View Memory Dump

Thread: View Memory Dump

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

View Memory Dump

I have a Windows 2000 Pro machine that I just built. The hard drive was formatted and the OS installed clean. All security patches and updates- including SP4 have been applied.

The machine keeps rebooting for no apparent reason. IT has done it 3 times this morning already. Each time it dumps memory and creates a *.DMP file. My question is this- what program do I use or how do I view the DMP file to make some sense out of it and try to determine what is causing the system to crash repeatedly?

Memphis, TN
    Aparrently theres a tool called Dumpchk.exe that you can use.

Heres the source

HA! beet you to it HT.

Hey Hey Tony.

You have a couple options available to you. The first is Windbg, you can download it from here ( ). Secondly there is a command prompt command (that's repetetive. heh) called dumpchk.exe. Try out dumpchk /? for more information on the command. Remember that .dmp files are in hex, so you could always pull up your favourite hex editor and see if it returns anything useful.

IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".