Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beggining Programming

Post Beggining Programming

Ive recently decided to begin to learn how to program...i've heard that BASIC or delphi are good choices to start out...what do you guys think is a good language to start with...thanks in advance...
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

What do you want to do? If you're going to learn multiple languages then you should learn one that others are semi-based on so that you'll know a little about every language. I'd say C, C++, or Perl is good to start with, but I know others who'd disagree.

I'd say start with with C.

If you get yourself a "made simple" book, if you struggle(i know i did 1st time round) ,read it again, and again, and if you still strugling try PASCAL

PASCAL is not a "stupid" or "NOTHING" langauge , no , its a langauge that would get you on your way to being a great programmer, so when you see " hey this programming jumble is not ALL THAT HARD" then you go TACKLE(go bokke ) that C book of yours and then it will be like learning PASCAL all over again(quite easy).

Just one thing you should keep in mind is that , you should not say "Today i'm gonna start programming , tomorrow i'l be selling my games",
    eveyone dreams(even me(and even Negative)) but there's a hard road to getting there.

THUS, pick a langauge(EENY MEENY MINY MOW) and stick to it(NO MATTER HOW SIMPLE THE PROGZ ARE THAT U MAKING) jus stick to it.
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

Banned
    i'd say for the kind of basic programming ...so you get the idea about programming ...the best language is Python .. i started with that language ..was very easy ...but it all depends on the person learning it ..

www.python.org
    if you decide to start with this one http://www.python.org/doc/tut/tut.html

but you should probably take advice from the more experienced programmers than me

I would recommend C. If you would like to start with a very easy language the i would say VB. Vb is a little more graphical. C, not to be confused with C ++ is more command prompt oriented.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

i've never tried VB but some ppl recommended me to start with it aswell, bahhh i skipped on that and started with C++, things did'nt work out all that well( the book about C++ i bought with all my money was for CONVERTING from C to C++) so i did some PERL and PASCAL then tackled C.

U might even consider starting with HTML and JAVASCRIPTING to get some fundementels of programming while creating websites, and then switch to a real programming lanauge like C or VB.
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

Ah yes... Pascal. Its a very basic language, if wanted you can write very complex program with it. Its is very goof for beginners. I belive that was what we learned in Comp Sci 1 in school.

Here is a web site where you can download Compilers for most of these languages
    http://www.bloodshed.net/

www.planetsourcecode.com is a very good website for looking at source codes of programs. Its a very good way to learn is just looking at a source code, changing something and seeing what happend when you run it. Thats how i learned.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

I think it depends on what sort of programs you want to develop. If you want to create fast simple programs, and have something that you can somewhat impress your friends with, try VisualBasic from microsoft. If your more into web design and such, start with HTML (you may know this language, but not consider it "programming"), and javascript. PHP is good if you want to get into some server side things such as database access with web sites. No matter what you start with though, if your serious about programming you'll end up moving towards C/C++. If you want to combine web programming with serious programming learn JAVA becasue once you know JAVA you know about 90% of C++.

Basically it all depends on what you want to do, i say try them all, you can never learn to much.

My only warning is that if you want to serous learn multiple languages, stay away from VisualBasic as your first one Your first langauge will usualy be where you learn the Logic behind programming, once you move to a knew language it is basically just picking up syntax. VisualBasic however does not follow most of the conventional programming practices.

DeafLamb

I would really reccomend Visual Basic. Thats what I really started getting into. Its basicly all easy to understand. To make a text box say something you type text1.text = "Hello". Easy! VB can also help you learn the basics of all programming languages. For example Variables and Loops. At first I tried learning C but it was way too confusing for a first language. If your wanting to get into high level languages like C I would reccomend starting with Pascal. Its easy to understand and it teaches you the syntax of C/C++. If you need more info, tutorials, or help feel free to PM me.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Banned
    VB can also help you learn the basics of all programming languages.
    I will have to agree.

I started out with VB. It taught me the if, else, for, while commands that i use in c++ and java.

I would say learn VB then learn c++ and java.

the book about C++ i bought with all my money was for CONVERTING from C to C++
    How the f*** did you buy a book which you thought was going to help you learn c++, but was for converting c to c++???

I flip through the book (before i check it out from the library) which is what you should have done. Didnt the title tell you anything.

Could you pm me the title.