Exec. Accused of Hacking Military

Thread: Exec. Accused of Hacking Military

Post Exec. Accused of Hacking Military

The head of an Internet security company who claimed to have found dangerous loopholes in U.S. military computers pleaded innocent Tuesday to charges that he hacked into government networks for financial gain.

Brett Edward O'Keefe, 36, was arrested and indicted Monday on six counts of conspiracy to access military, government and private computers.

The indictment accuses O'Keefe of sharing military files with news media to generate favorable publicity for his San Diego company, ForensicTec Solutions Inc. O'Keefe allegedly had unauthorized possession of files from NASA, the Army, the Navy, the Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health.

The FBI raided ForensicTec's offices shortly after an August 2002 story in The Washington Post said ForensicTec claimed to have identified 34 military sites where network security and confidential files were easily compromised, including Army computers at Fort Hood, Texas; NASA's Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley and Navy facilities in Maryland and Virginia.

O'Keefe said at the time that the company's goal was to call attention to the need for better security and "get some positive exposure" for his fledgling firm.
    Source CNN(http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Sounds pretty serious.. Thanks for the article ....
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

No problem, thanks for the apprication...lol
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

And this is why we always make sure we have permission to snoop on certain computers...

"O'Keefe said at the time that the company's goal was to call attention to the need for better security and "get some positive exposure" for his fledgling firm. "

Well, I think he succeeded in getting exposure...

yeah he sure did but this is the wrong time to show the vulnerabilities of govt systems especially if u dont have their permission. what with 911 and all the new laws they put in. you are just asking to be #$%^ed.

I believe that he did go to far by acutally getting files from the different branches. He should of never done that. If he was intent on showing their weaknessess, he should of just found them then reported them to somebody. But dont you know that he would of still gotten heat from some people.
    =