Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning cd image complaints

Elite Hacker

burning cd image complaints

I was wondering what people thought about burning an iso image over a network. It seems like it wouldn't come out right, being such a big file size and all. The reason I want to do this is that I can't get any of the md5 checker programs to work on my only computer with a cd burner. It's very wierd but true. You all may remember me complaining about this a long time ago. I have probably burnt about 30 bootable cd's which started to boot up fine but would screw up later in the process. would it be better to just copy and paste it from the network drive to the comp with the cd burner or is there a good possibility for the file to get screwed up doing this. I really don't want to waste any more cd-r's than I have to. I have only gotten two bootable cd's to work that I have made. One I made at school, and the other at home, but I don't think it worked like it should have, even though it made it through the install of lycoris. Anyways, I just wanted to burn myself a copy of knoppix-std, which I have tried about 3 times unsuccessfully. I think that the problem is that the comp with the cd burner corrupts large files. I also had a problem where I tried downloading and installing jbuilder nine, and it wouldn't let me extract the files to the hard drive. I guess that my comp is just screwed up. I am using nero 5 with an acer cdrw 10x8x32 on winxp pro. The model of the cdburner is acer CRW1832A. I guess that I will just have to wait till I get another cdburner on a different computer. has anyone else ever experienced problems like mine to the extent that I have?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the rant.

I wouldn't see why your file would be messed up if you transferred it over the network. I'm assuming a home network here so theres no hops for the data to make, and not much of a chance for losing data. I transfer files over my network in excess of 400MB and never have any problems with them.

What OS are we talking about here? Remember that you have make sure it burns it to the cd as a ISO format or Image file. I believe that on Nero they call it a disk image file. when I burned the ISO image of WIndows Server 2003 it would boot up to install until I had Nero burn it as a image file
    =

Just a thought here... I once had the same problem. It was because Nero 6 was saving the file as it was being transferred to a temporary file on the hard drive (or was using the OS to copy the file), and trying to burn the CD at the same time. Sometimes it would report a successful burn, but screw it up anyway. The problem occured because the hard drive and the CD burner were both on the same IDE channel. The IDE interface cannot perform both read and write operations simultaneously. Once I moved the burner to my secondary IDE, it worked fine. It could be that the transfer and burning is occurring too slowly to cause a buffer underrun, but is screwing the data up when it passes through your IDE interface and it is not being detected by Nero. Have you tried copying the files first? If it burns after a copy is made, then try switching the burner to another IDE channel.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Elite Hacker
    Right now I have one hard drive on one ide controller and two cd roms on the other. I'm thinking I will disconnect the regular cdrom and just have the burner connected. Right now the burner is secondary slave. Do I need to change jumpers to get it to primary slave or is it just hard drives that have jumpers.

Yes... you must change the jumper.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

no, cd roms have jumpers to. What you might try, is change it to Secondary Master, and make sure that the cd-rom has the first IDE connection to it, then the second connector to your other cd-rom drive.

I had a HD once that I had connected to the second IDE connector (last one) and for some reason, the HD would load then stop, load then stop. I chnanged it around so the HD was on the first connecter then it worked perfectly.

GIve that a shot though.

/edit:

Ah you beat me to it striek
    =

Elite Hacker
    I won't get to try this until tomorrow. I have to wait for my download to finish anyways though.
    I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks.

I thought you were transfereing this over the netowork? If you are it should take but a couple minutes.
    =

Elite Hacker
    I don't have the iso yet though. I am downloading it right now. It's at 40%.
    I think I will keep the file on the comp without the burner and just burn over the network because I think there is something wrong with the filesystem on the xp box with the burner.

well if you have any probelms or questions let us know and we'll do our best to help you out.
    =