Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Modem Question (Help ASAP)

Cable Modem Question (Help ASAP)

Ok my cable was working perfectly fine earlier until recently I turn on my computer and it says Finding Site yahoo.com but no site loads. I have comcast cable and I have tried going to another site other than yahoo but my cable doesnt seem to work. It is on one computer no router or nothing and I havent installed anything since it was working. Please help me I am on 56k right now.

if you have a seperate box for the cable modem i would sugguest resetting that....otherwise try calling tech support
    chown -r us ./bases

How do I reset it? Is that the same as repairing? If it is than I already repaired it. Please explain specifcly what folders to go in to do this stuff.

Ummm, have you bothered to call tech support? It can be anything. It may be a problem with your modem, NIC, cables, or they could have an outage in your area right now. Call them up and on the phone itll give you options to select what you want over the phone. Select high speed internet, then select tech support, (it will walk you through it on the phone). Then tell the dude...Or girl on tech support about it. We cant fix a problem when it has to do with your ISP making repairs, or upgrading, or having an outage. Dont assume I think Im a know it all, I have the same ISP and when that happens, its usually repairs, upgrades, or an outage.

Ok what Operating system. If you know how to get to the command prompt, it should be start programs hen Comman prompt for pre windows XP and start programs accessories for Windows XP.

Go to the command prompt and type this in ping www.yahoo.com
    hopefully i should say something like Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ttl 128, etc etc. IF that doesnt do anything, then type in ipconfig, and post what it says here.

Are you on a network or directly connected to the modem?
    =

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Open up Start Menu->Settings->Network and Dial Up Connections->Local Area Connextion(x). Then open up the properties tab and tell us what you see. Then maybe we can help you some. Cheyenne's suggestion would help too, but since you obviously have an active connection right now, it will ping Yahoo! just fine.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I have windows XP. Ok www.yahoo.com didnt work in the command promp but in Ip config it says:

Windows IP Configuration

Connection Specific DNS Suffix: comcast.net

IP Address (I dont want to give)

Subnet Mask (I dont want to give)

Default Gateway (I dont want to give)

Thats it...

Who the hell is negging people in here?
    =

Originally posted here by LilSL209
    I have windows XP. Ok www.yahoo.com didnt work in the command promp but in Ip config it says:

Windows IP Configuration

Connection Specific DNS Suffix: comcast.net

IP Address (I dont want to give)

Subnet Mask (I dont want to give)

Default Gateway (I dont want to give)

Thats it...
    You are worried about a subnet mask? *Smacking forehead* No one here is going to take the time to convert your subnet mask into binary to...Oh wait your not on a network besides the cable connection, they couldn't do much anyway.

Now, close that damned command prompt, Unplug your modem, count 60 seconds, plug it back in, reboot, if that doesnt fix it, call comcast, you may have an outage in your area like I said ohhhh 5 posts or so ago.

We can know nothing about your IP with your subnet but thats not important. yours should look something similiar to this, but of course different IP's.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.223
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>

edit: Please, No one Haxor my special IP adrress. Please. hehe.
    =