Determining a Remote machine's Default Gateway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determining a Remote machine's Default Gateway

Determining a Remote machine's Default Gateway

A question about Network Mngmnt/Support:-

Is it possible to find out a remote machine's Default Gateway? If a network manager needs to know if a certain node, situated at a distant location has had its default gateway configured correctly, how can he do so, without having to take a nice long walk?

Thanx for the input folks,

--Scim
    _scimitar_

I think if, using windows, you type in ipconfig in dos or winipcfg in run it should tell you. I think.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

If that machine has someone using it, ask them to run ipconfig /all or the equivalent linux command and report back to you with the results. It's not that hard to step someone through it, and I think it would certainly be easier and more secure than remote administratin software.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I got a mail from one of the faculty member's that his connection wasn't working. I couldn't determine what was the problem, and given that it was the end of the week, decided to check up the switches over the weekend [Here, Thursday and Friday are weekends]. Yesterday I found some machines in the graduate labs were still configured with the old gateway x.x.x.254, which unfortunately started malfunctioning over the past week - intermittently starts/stops working. The actual [new] gateway is supposed to be x.x.x.253. Before I got down to checking up the switch nearest to the professor's pc, I wanted to make sure he didn't have his default gateway also set to the old one [this could explain his on/off connection]. Its the weekend, he's not here, and I really shouldn't put it out till saturday - if it IS something wrong with the switch, swapping it for another one would really mess up things during working hours.
    _scimitar_

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    If you can see the remote machine use the vbscript I wrote that is attached. You need to know the admin login name and password for the domain or the machine. Run it from the directory you put it in from the command prompt with the command cscript currentstate.vbs then answer the questions. You will find the IP settings in there and it will have the DG right there.

I have posted this here in the forensics forum and it has been checked/tested by others. nothing has changed. If you want - get the one from the forensics forum.

Good luck
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Am I missing something? Unless you are on the same network segment as the machine you are trying to get to...wouldn't that mean you wouldn't be able to connect because the reply traffic would never make it back to you if they Default isn't set/set correctly?

Oh, Scimitar, one thing you could do is give your Switch/router multiple IP's on one interface (old default and new default), then as you see the traffic, ding the ones that haven't switched...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Sometimes you get this nice warm feelin in your stomach.. especially when you believe you've asked a real intelligent question. Other times, you get a real friggin heartburn when u realize what a dork u've been, and feel like shooting yourself in the foot. Rite now I feel that way. DUH, rite, Nebulus, darn.. of course the machine wouldn't reply if it didn't have the DGateway set properly. Thanx for knocking sense into me. Really dumb on my part, though in retrospect, I think I was more interested in the possibility of remotely determining DGateways, than actually solving my problem. And for that, thanx a Mega-ton for the vb script Tiger Shark. It works like a charm!

And Nebulus, I didn't get that about having multiple IPs on one Interface.

>>"one thing you could do is give your Switch/router multiple IP's on one interface (old default and new default), then as you see the traffic, ding the ones that haven't switched.." <<

Could you please expand on that, especially the phrase 'ding the ones that haven't switched' [English isn't my first language as you can prolly tell]

Again thanx a ton, and oh yeah, prof's machine was reachable. Hence, it oughta be a problem in the switch. *Cant always get away easy... *

-- Scim
    _scimitar_

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nebulus: Er.... Yeah.... Er... I was just tring to see if the rest of you were paying attention.... Yep, that's it..... testing Y'all......

Well spotted.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    Er.... Yeah.... Er... I was just tring to see if the rest of you were paying attention.... Yep, that's it..... testing Y'all......
    LOL ....

hey nebulus havent seen you post in a long time ..whats been up with you

Work work and more work...

A bunch of new equipment just got ordered, take training, develop policies and install. Throw in a few OpenSSH/OpenSSL vulns and all the worms running around...And you have one tired puppy...:P

/nebulus

EDIT: Scimitar. Unless it a very basic router/switch, you can make an interface/switch have/respond to more than one IP. What kind of hardware are we talking about here, maybe i can provide more info ...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)