Anti-Spam Solutions

Thread: Anti-Spam Solutions

Anti-Spam Solutions

Hello fellow AO'ers,

Tomorrow morning I have to go in and meet with our IT team. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the ineffectiveness that the team has had against spam. Some of our agents recieve over 100 spam messages daily. My company is an offshoot of the GM corporation and they have been limited to using the eSafe spam solution from Alladin software. My question to you all is if anybody has had any experience with this product and whether it has worked for you. If so, maybe you could help me with some tips to increase it's effectiveness. I have been reading white papers on the topic all morning and would love any light you may be able to shed on the topic. Thanks for the time and any help you might be able to give me.
    -NeuTron

Check out tis site (www.declude.com). Its what my local ISP use to block spam. Works very well.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Spam filtering is a touchy subject politically... Drop one mail that your CEO needed and you are in trouble.... Fact of life. You need to be very careful with it. PM me if you want more "inside" info..... It's a difficult subject that has several different connotations....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

People recieve spam because they put there emails in places where they are not supposed to. I do not recieve spam. Since I opened my account with my current ISP about a year ago I have not recieved one single item of spam mail. This is because I understand how to prevent its happening in the first place. I would suggest that, rather than try to block incoming spam, educate people on how not to recieve it in the first place, although with thier addresses on a gajillion lists already, that might be difficult. The only other possibility is that spammers might be trying random addresses in your domain, and only keeping lists of addresses that don't bounce. In that case, disabling the bounce messages might help a lot. But education and awareness is the key here.

Be proactive, not reactive.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Originally posted here by Striek
    People recieve spam because they put there emails in places where they are not supposed to. I do not recieve spam. Since I opened my account with my current ISP about a year ago I have not recieved one single item of spam mail. This is because I understand how to prevent its happening in the first place. I would suggest that, rather than try to block incoming spam, educate people on how not to recieve it in the first place, although with thier addresses on a gajillion lists already, that might be difficult. The only other possibility is that spammers might be trying random addresses in your domain, and only keeping lists of addresses that don't bounce. In that case, disabling the bounce messages might help a lot. But education and awareness is the key here.

Be proactive, not reactive.
    I understand that but it is quite a different story for coporations. We're far beyond the level of preventing it, it's time to block it. But thanks for the reply anyway.
    -NeuTron

I once read an article on 'intellignet' email filtering. This program would gradually learn which mails were spam and which were not. Of course, it took a month or so before it really learned well, but supposedly, it works. The program I used to use for this has disappeared from the Internet and I can't remember its name. But the technology exists, so chances are somebody is still developing it. I'm sorry I can't recommend a specifc program, but maybe someone else has heard of something like this.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!