Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD muck up

HD muck up

Ok I managed to fry my HD was installing Redhat 9 - had just formated and was making partitions when comp failed - so need to get in with knoppix or such and remove al partitions so can format and instal windows - how do i go about it?

am running of an old HD atm (only 2gig) so have t switch them about to get online so please make sure got all info need to do it

v_Ln

Could you explain in more detail about what happened when your "comp failed"?

use a windows98 bootdisk and use fdisk from there to remove those partitions, then create them for windows. You could also try just booting off the windows CD and see if it will delete the old ones and create the new partition for windows to install onto.

laters.
    t.e.k.n.o.

If the hd is still viewable and not totally dead you can always make a windows bootup disk with fdisk on it and just partition that way. also can erase the mbr if you got that far in the install with fdisk /mbr .
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

i`m not sure how fdisk views Linux partions but with NTFS partions it refuses to delete them claiming theirs logical drives even though their isn`t. So you may not have much luck with a win 9x boot disk. You could use a NT cd and delete the parion through the setup or use a Linux distrubution CD and use it`s version of fdisk (cant remember the name) to delete the partions.
    Hope thats some help.
    mark

your right....it will complain that there are logical drives that it says it can't delete, but at that point, all the other partitions should be gone and you should be left with those annoying logical drives. You should now be able to throw in the windows CD, boot off of that and then have windows do it's partition thing without any issues.
    t.e.k.n.o.

cant install directly from windows cd - keeps failing
    need to basically wipe HD clean before can go through reinstall - no way of getting win/linux on machine atm due to the bootched partitions thats why was thinking a distro that can be ran from cd-rom ie knoppix - is there any tools inside it which would allow me to remove all exsisting partitions and format?

v_Ln

Val,

Create CD boot disk from other mark_boyle2002 cpu.

Wait for it to boot.

type FDISK

Select Delete Non Dos Partition.

Delete all the partitions.

reeboot.

Run Fdisk

Create Primary Dos Partition.

Select use full available size.

reeboot.

use the script bellow to install windows.

format c: /s
    md c:\wiindows
    md c:\windows\win98cd
    copy %CDROM%\win98\*.* c:\windows\win98cd\*.*
    c:
    cd windows\win98cd
    setup

Note : Substitute the %CDROM% for appropriate letter of drive.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    /me hands v_Ln a giant magnet

you could also pull the drive, toss it in your second computer as a slave, and format it from there.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

well i slaved main HD (one wih probs) to lil HD - after trying to create boot disks and fdiskin' (failed miserably dont know why) but once had slaved was simple matter of going in with partition magic and wiping drive so am now running at full capacity (with mini drive as pure mp3 folder assigned as slave to main) thanks for al help peps
    appriciated

v_Ln