Thread: IP Locator Inaccurate?

IP Locator Inaccurate?

Hi, I am new here so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I have been using the IP Locator at /http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-toys/ip-locate/ for a few years now. I have only lately found that it is inaccurate. Not all the time, but sometimes it gets the country wrong, so it can be way off.

I was just wondering whether anyone else had noticed this? I was dissapointed when I found out, as it was a great/fast visual check, but now I cannot trust it.

Cheers
    Asif

I've just tried it and it works for the machine that I'm on currently, but apparently my router is based in Amsterdam, North Holland! (actually, it's in Manchester, UK).

I don't think the AO IP locater is that accurate, especially for IPs assigned by ISPs (as opposed to my IP at the moment, which is a University one). MaxMind GeoIP (used by MySQL to pick download mirrors) seems to be much more accurate.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks for that m8, after I posted , 3 links came up on the same subject and all were the same problem. I am now using http://www.geektools.com/whois.php as my whois. I still liked the idea of the visual though. Maybe one day they will make it accurate?

Cheers
    Asif

The WHOIS database is good for finding out who owns an IP, but it can only really show you the country it may be used in (e.g. my ISP in based in England, but that doesn't tell you anything specific).

Visual Route is another good resource, but again it can only track me to my ISP (because I don't actually own or control my IP address, even though it's a static one) in London.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks pwaring, for you reply. I don't mind so much not being able to find out which actual person is intruding, because I can just email the ISP and ask them to have a look. But, if I have a quick look and see thay are from china or russia, then I probably would not bother anyway.

cheers
    Asif