Thread: Problem with my sound card

Problem with my sound card

Hello everyone,

I am encountring problem with my audio device. I can't play mp3,.wav files etc. However, the media player does play mid files. I have tried playing mp3 files with winamp, Windows Media Player. Actually, mp3 and wav files play for about 1 sec and stop playing and it happens at a gap of approx every 10 secs !! The sound card I have got installed on my computer is Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible) . I think there is some problem with driver. Has any one got any suggestions on how I should aproach this problem ?

Thanks
    Things that don\'t kill you make you stronger !

Hi,

I would say your first move is to uninstall the device via control panel then delete the drivers.

Then re-boot, and windows should "discover" the device...re-install the drivers for it.

Make sure you are off the net, and have firewall and antivirus disabled.

You need to try uninstall, because trying to install over the top sometimes will not work if the file is the same date...it thinks it has already been done

Hope this helps

Cheers

Is this downloaded music, like off of kazaa, or is it music that has been burned from the original CD?
    =

Lightbulb

Hello,

Please describe your hardware and installed software, i.e. OS, Processor, RAM, Manufacturer, Bios manufacturer, BIOS rev, etc. I noticed you wrot a 16 bit app was used for the sound card.....maybe just maybe this is a problem. 16 bit drivers and 32 bit OS's don't do well together.

DarkCarniv0l

Hi DarkCarniv0l,

You may be right, and in my experience the two devices most likely to cause trouble are the modem and sound card, but sound cards seem to be quite well supported on 32 bit (winonwin or somwthing I seem to recall?) for some peculiar reason?..........maybe to support older games?

Cheers

You could try updating the drivers from the net especially if you are running XP, Check to see if the drivers you installed are compatable with your O/S.

1/ What OS
    2/ Did it just suddenly develope this problem
    3/ I take it 10 secs or so? huh.. before the sound dissappears.. So what else have you tried..the fact that Midi files play ok seem to point to corrupted drivers O/S must be Win 9x..
    4/ Was any Hardware installed just before this problem developed..

Follow nihils advice.. esp if its win9x (95/98/me) as well as the others are on the ball ..
    if you want a handhold session.. try www.virtualdr.com

But Goto the Tutorials and RTFM... you will see tutorials on how to approach these problems, as well as what information we need when you ask our help..

And shrekkie .. I know.. I mention RTFM to bloody much.. here at least I can scream it at ppl.. at work I have to be polite.. here ppl come to learn.. so RTFM.. at work ppl pay me to fix their problems so they can stay dumb and poor and lazy and not have to RTFM,,

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks for all your replies. I have tried most of the stuff mentioned above like uninstall/install drivers etc. I think the driver seems to be in use "internally" by the system. It is not apparent where it is being used but, when I try to load a new copy of driver in the system folder, it fails to do so and comes up with the error message that "it is in use" although I have no media players running. No, I don't have any Kazaa or any p2p software on my computer. I also have 3dfxvoodoo video card which might have something to do with it. Although, my system info does not show any conflict.

Anyways, thanks for all your info. For those people who asked, I am running Win98(SE)
    Things that don\'t kill you make you stronger !

WTF are you talking about..?

Go to System properties and select hardware

expand the multimedia devices .. you may find that one of the items in this section is already marked.. this will be the one with the musical icon.. and items listed such as midi, sb16 emu etc.. (to lazy to turn on my win98 box just to check the entries here)

Remove the device there.. I don't know why the f... you are deleting the device drivers from the System folder.. of course the files are in use.. the bloody device is installed and the os is still trying to use them.. inspite of the fact that one of the files are corrupted....

You only remove driver files from the system folder as a last resort at removing a device not the first..

you may need to restart the machine in safe mode to remove the device.. shut it down and restart.. you will need your soundcard drivers before you start....

But if you have been playing around in the System folder.. goodness knows what youve stuffed up in there..

BTW: You answered only one of our questions.. If you realy want help how about answering the questions we ask you.. then we can realy help you with targeted answers..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr