Microsoft moves to integrate Windows with BIOS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft moves to integrate Windows with BIOS

Microsoft moves to integrate Windows with BIOS

The evil empire is at it again.....

A deal with BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies would allow the operating system to directly control hardware. It also raises concerns over who controls the software in PCs

Microsoft has expanded its relationship with BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies in a deal designed to more closely integrate the basic building blocks of the PC with the Windows operating system.
    Source: ZD NET UK

you will be assimilated
    t.e.k.n.o.

Banned
    oh YIPPE......

we all better start a bussness fixing pc's
    just think of all the little kiddies playing with this new tool...
    changing settings and stuff... oh the shear joy of it all...

Nightfalls_Girl

Banned
    *Moved from GCC*

*Moved from GCC*

LOL.. and this could easily fit in the cosmos forum too..

"MS WANTS TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD" headlines in the daily rags..

they may as well try to control every other facet of our lives..

first the bios control.. then the whole mobo.. (only works on registered products) then flood the market these mobo's with MS's version of Intel's chips.. which are the only chips that work. influence the memory makers and only MS's memory works on anything..
    .. bill gates, the antichrist.. help us..

oh no.. I better take my meds now.. my conspiracy theory side of me is taking over my mind.

Two things...

1. Hopefully, if this gets widespread attention, it'll cause a whole new round of antitrust suits against M$. Maybe this time one would succeed.

2. With all the vulnerabilities in Windows alone, imagine all the cool, new BIOS problems and other assorted insecurities people could have fun with. Ugh...

Time to switch completely to Linux while I still can...

alpha

Banned
    Call Microsoft evil or whatever you like, but perhaps you should think for a moment why they are successful. Why are projects like this and Palladium allowed to happen?

Why? Because they keep giving the right answers to the questions that business, home computer users, the government, and copyright holders around the world keep asking. Not only do they keep giving the right answers... but they are the only company to be giving any answers at all.

As an IT manager Palladium is like a dream come true, and sure it'll effect my music piracy at home, but the very nature of Palladium makes that bypassable even once the Fritz chip is in full effect. the government loves it and so do copyright owners. The only people to bitch? Programming students that have no money or wannabe programming students that have no money. Those people wouldn't be happy about Windows doing anything so MS doesn't consider them. This move with Phoenix is looking like more foundational work toward Palladium plus a few other things that will simplify enterprise management.

catch

[ot] Aint language a funny thing..
    I better take my meds now..
    in Australia It don't mean medication..
    my wife wet herself reading this one.. [/ot]

Very interesting future we currently have.. can Linux claw a better than 10% market share.. that is Sold in store installed in systems.. not d/l or free copies on old boxes.. if that happens then this future will be different.. if not .. we will overcome..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Negative
    *Moved from GCC*
    Sorry about that neg...i wasn't sure if it was considered security material worthy of being in the MS security thread.

t.e.k.n.o.

Oh boy I can see it coming ~~~~~~ Welcome to bills burger can I take your order “yea I’ll have an Xp burger with an order of DOS fries.” Ok sir would you like tech support with that for 89cents more.

Or maybe NEWS at five “Los Angles was the victim of a DoS attack today when there was a new security hole found in the newest Microsoft car that allowed other users to gain control of your vehicle remotely. Bill gates himself said they are working on a patch that will prevent this in the future.”
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Unhappy Stay the fu<k away from my hardware MS!

continuing the conspiracy thread here...

If MS can't build secure software why should we allow them to fu<k with the firmware that controls our PC's hardware??!!!

...waiting for the next BIOS Trojan courtesy of shitty MS software...

continuing the conspiracy thread here...
    err, I'm an "vocabulary-challenged idiot!" ... I meant "continuing the cynicism theme here..."

Man I need my caffeine...where's my damn Dew.

Sorry about that AOers.