Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registry Bypass?

Registry Bypass?

Okay.... Say i was a computer admin at a school and access to the registry had been disabled for security reasons.

Wouldn't The following code, if executed in a batch file re-enable access to regedit?
    =================================================

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]"DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000

=================================================
    If so how would i go about stoping users from executing such a command and gaining access to the registry?
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Spools..................really!!!!

Try renaming regedit.exe to "your public execution will happen at dawn.exe"

Cheers

EDIT: sorry just hide the executable? and disallow floppy/cd drives............there are other ways, but I will have to think..........what OSes are you thinking of here?

Simply do not allow non-administrator accounts execute access on that file.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Rename regedit to something else?

I tested it on my system and if came back as "The system cannot find the path specified." and yes I spelled it all correctly. (copy - paste)

Oh yeah.. Soulfly RUCKS!!!!
    Everyone has to start somewhere and we all start at the bottom - FeN-i-X

couldn't you still do it through command prompt?

XP and/or 98

No, the code wouldnt work no matter what O/s you run or how many times you try it!

And since it does not work you need not worry about stopping other people trying it.

Maestr0's answer sound fine for NT4/WIN2K/XP as they have comparatively good security. 9x and Me are home user OSes so are more difficult. You can remove the "run" option from the start menu,which makes it more difficult, but it would be relatively easy to reinstate it unless you disable the floppy/CD drives.

Perhaps I should ask the question what do you want to allow the users to do?

I haven't looked at your batch file code but I would have thought that a correctly defined .reg file if double clicked would do what you say in 9x/Me? because these OSes don't acknowledge an "administrator" as such? So if you can't do it............no one can?

Cheers

EDIT : I have just looked at a 98se machine, and the path isn't there..............gets as far as "policies" then just offers "explorer" or "network"

Me gets as far as "policies", but there is nothing in it.

I think you have left out some information? like how would you set up the control in the first place, and still allow authorised access to the Registry. I am talking 98 and Me?

I still believe that you would need physical security with the home systems, and possibly some third party security application. Anyway they are obsolete OSes, so is it worth it?

NOKIA:
    No, the code wouldnt work no matter what O/s you run or how many times you try it!

And since it does not work you need not worry about stopping other people trying it.
    Considering that you did not try the code every operating system you have no right to say that it will not work on any of them. I ran the script on my computer and it worked. I wouldn't recomend giving out advice like that again unless your absolutely sure its true.

I ran it on 98, me and xp and i didnt work dood, sorry.