IPAQ traceable?

Thread: IPAQ traceable?

IPAQ traceable?

Hi there. I've been thinking about getting a IPAQ 2210 to use in school. Since I'm studying information security and we do risk analyses on different companies we get in contact with some information that shouldn't be "missplaced" and hence I wonder:

1. Viruses and trojans. Are there a lot of viruses and/or trojans designed especially for handhelds? Are there any specially designed anti virus programs for handhelds out there?

2. What kind of security programs are there availible for handhelds (and IPAQ in particular)?

3. Are there any way of tracing a stolen/lost IPAQ? Trough MAC-adress or any other way? Do they have any build in security features (and in particular for tracing)?

4. Has anyone anything good or bad in general to say about IPAQ 2210?

Thanks in advance.

PS. If there are any misstakes in spelling, please excuse me but English is not my native language.
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]

Never used IPAQ so can't help you I'm afraid. However, your english is perfect

The first Handheld virus ever was found a couple weeks ago...i dont know the artical off the top of my head...but handheld virus's in the future shouldnt be growin to fast...maybe in 5-10 years maybe but u prolly have another one by then. You dont really need any security programs for a handheld...I'm not sure if IPAQS run palm os or pocket pc...but none of them so far have any serious vulnerabilities so far. As far as you losin it? Um...toughluck??? Well some HP handhelds have linux OS...so just install linux and have no accounts for people...it'd just be a dumb handheld if they found/stole it.

I would'nt worry about the security for your hand held. If you get one that connects to a wireless network you are usually not connected very long. The one thing is though that most hand helds get uploaded to desktops or laptops. That is where you info will be the most vunerable. Just be carfull what machine you use to upload your hand held info to and you should be okay.

PS: I tell ya what you write better than me and better then most people that live in the states

good luck
    why?

The Iceman Cometh
    1. There are a few known viruses and trojans, but nothing to really worry about. The only threats come from viruses embedded in other files (such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, etc.) which can be trasmitted to a desktop when you sync the two.

2. There are tons of free programs, including virus scanners, firewalls, etc. available on sites such as FreewarePPC.com, webattack.com/pocketpc and PocketPCSoft.net.

3. They sell programs that work like low-jack systems for handhelds, similar to the systems they sell for laptops. I'm not sure how much they cost or where they are available. Sorry. HP/Compaq may also sell some sort of insurance. For instance, Dell offers insurance so, if you lose it, Dell with replace it for a deductible.

4. I haven't heard anything either way. I recently purchased a Dell Axim, and I've fallen in love with it. It's made me so much more productive in both my business and school (teaching and taking classes).

Hope that helps.

AJ

Thanks to all of you that took the time to ******** these things for me. I'm definately getting one . I found a used one for sale not too far from where I live and was gonna go buy it today but I just talked to the guy and when I asked him about warranty he answered:
    it's brand new, not even out of the box but I'm afraid I have no recit, and hence, no warranty.
    Damn, guess I wont get my IPAQ today after all
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hand helds are particularly handy for war driving countermeasures. In fact, we employ one to audit all of our facilities. Get yourself an orinoco card and antenna kit along with mini stumbler and you have a nice little rig.

http://www.netstumbler.org/download....&orderby=hitsD

Yes, you can trace the IPAQ via MAC address.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

The Iceman Cometh
    Hand helds are particularly handy for war driving countermeasures. In fact, we employ one to audit all of our facilities. Get yourself an orinoco card and antenna kit along with mini stumbler and you have a nice little rig.
    That's my biggest complaint about my Del Axim. When I ordered it, I got the Dell CompactFlash 802.11b card, which I haven't been able to get to work with MiniStumbler. :-(

AJ