windows says that 37 gigs is too big...WTF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows says that 37 gigs is too big...WTF

windows says that 37 gigs is too big...WTF

i created a 37 gig primary partition (hda2) for sharing between win and debian .. but when i was gonna format it "fat" windows 2000 said it's too big... why i never heard such a thing
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

The Iceman Cometh
    FAT being FAT 16 or FAT 32? If I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I've used anything but NTFS) FAT 16 has constraints on partition sizes. If you need a partition of that size, I'd recommend just formatting it NTFS and then setting up your Debian to be able to access NTFS partitions. Just my 2 cents.

AJ

actualy FAT32 runs out of luck around 32GB with win xp.. need to check on the exact limit.. it should be easy maths.. just too laxy right now to work it out.... thought I have read of a higher limit..that.. I know that XP refuses to give you the option of Formatting partitions over 30 something GB in FAT32..

cheers

Edit: Major F up in the last line.. did I fix it in time ?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I had exactly the same problem in the end I gave up and just stuck with NTFS may I ask why you need to use fat
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

i want to be able to write in it w linux
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Did you use fdisk t create thes partitions on your disk? Because if you did, FDisk has an option for you to enable large disk support. YOu oughta re do and put it as a NTFS system anyway. FAT is a lot more unstable, and unsecure that what NTFS is.
    =

Your linux kernel can be recompiled with ntfs support. This may solve your problem.
    This page should give you some help.
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/help.html
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

fat will read well to 35gig after that you really need ntfs

FAT32 will waste alot of your disk space as well. I'd don't remember the exact number or formula for figuring it out, but I know it has high overhead because of the way it formats the drive.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani

not to be a smarta$$.. but..
    if you did, FDisk has an option for you to enable large disk support
    the "large disk support" they talk about in fdisk is hdd's larger than 640Mb.. used it a few time on 600 and smaller drives.. but fdisk isnt the prog that formats the hdd..it just the tool tp partition the hdd.. well mainly anyway..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr