Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: windows says that 37 gigs is too big...WTF

I have an (external) 250GB dist with one (1) partition wich is FAT32

yeah I know this kills the capacity (about 10% is wasted becouse of the cluster size) but it's the easiest way to transfer files between multiple systems / OSses
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

This article explains all the issues with FAT32 and larger partition sizes.
    http://www.win2000mag.net/Articles/I...rticleID=38803

Basically Fat32 can support up to 2TB partitions at 4GB files. However, Win2k and XP will not format anything larger than 32GB. So you have to use Win98 or ME to format the drive to a size larger than 32GB.

thanx guys for for the responses... i didn't know this...

@ the end i just made the partition 25 gigs in fat32... it's simply the easiest way to transfer files among diff. OS's
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Wink NTFS

Why don't you just use a NTFS partition? It works great for me, running XP and Red Hat. I havn't had any problems.
    -LeetProdigy
    *ESA Founder*

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    not to be a smarta$$.. but..
    the "large disk support" they talk about in fdisk is hdd's larger than 640Mb.. used it a few time on 600 and smaller drives.. but fdisk isnt the prog that formats the hdd..it just the tool tp partition the hdd.. well mainly anyway..

cheers
    Yeah, I know that fdisk is just used to make partitions, but I was thinking that maybe somehow he didn't enable large disk support, and thought maybe it had a negative effect somewhere else.

Fat is the drive you need to use if your doing stuff with windows ME or below, but if your using Windows NT, 2000, XP, Your a lot better off using NTFS.
    =

Don't take this advice instantly as I am only an amateur but maybe you could split it into 2 partitions then you may be able to use fat
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files