Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackers rediscover war dialling

let the world no on anti online hnehe i hate ****ing war diallers remminds me of black and wight moveis to over rated or under rated but if people are that easy then what thay say is true the past wich was known is but the __________. hehe keep on rolling you *******s

****e you kno typos are a drage white is what i ment to say
    the one you are is not who you will allways be :| death is but one blood drop from your door

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    On a related issue: WHile trying to determine a security company to carry out a security audit a couple of years ago one of the contenders claimed to be able to scan the network and detect computers that have a modem attached. Since they didn't get the job we never found out more about this.

Is there a tool out there that can run across a network and determine if there is a modem installed?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

LanGuard Network Security Scanner from GFI Software Ltd. has some capability. In limited testing, it has had some success in locating modems on my network. I haven't really put it to the test and as yet I have no idea what it's real capabilities are -- just know it reported accurately on a small number of test machines.

Tiger Shark, Yes, it is possable as stated here: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/pen-.../Nov/0403.html

Basically this guy chose to use NT's remote regestry feture and looks through there for modems. I'll see if any one has a tool out on the net, but untill then check that link.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Basically this guy chose to use NT's remote regestry feture and looks through there for modems. I'll see if any one has a tool out on the net, but untill then check that link.
    That's the trick LanGuard uses.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Thanks... But let me rephrase......

Is there a tool out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... I'm a non-profit and LanGuard is horrendously expensive as far as I am concerned...

Just a script would be useful or I'm gonna have to try writing one myself and that could end in tears......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Another way I have seen it done is basically wardialing a block of phone numbers owned by the company or organization, then following up on all the hits. I think there are a number of tools out there for that, some of them may even be legal. This is not as hard as it sounds since so many companies have blocks of numbers and, if you are running an audit, the business office usually knows which phone numbers they are paying bills on.

introgrammer

I have no idea what it is that you are (ab) using............it will kill ya!

animal tranks?

You have to stop it now!....just re-read your post....when you descend from the ceiling...you will understand me.

God Bless

You can use the Windows Management Interface (WMI) to hunt down hardware installed on systems, or SMS, if you are so inclined. I've had mixed success with SMS, but am going down that road one more time with the new W2003 version.

I feel lucky in that we have a digital phone network. So, the only way you are going to get a modem working here is to have us install an analog phone line for you. We make it very tough and expensive. We can also point to the exising modems in the network and can lock the access immediately, if necessary.

Couple years ago, I had one faculty person come in with a cheapo internal modem that was fried. He had installed it and plugged it into the digital phone port. He brought it to me, thinking maybe I could make it work. I said, "Gee, those don't work here, did you know that?"

Ninja Code Monkey
    There are software methods of auditing it....the most popular method is to simply find the block of phone numbers the company uses and just run a war dialer.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X