View Poll Results: What is your fav Linux distro?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Redhat XP

1 8.33%
  • Mandrake, the one thats so easy Tux gives you a hand job...Flipper job, during install.

0 0%
  • Slackware, Because the kernel and a few tools are all you want

1 8.33%
  • Debian, because I\'m leet

0 0%
  • Gentoo, because my name is shrekkie

2 16.67%
  • I like Windows, virii dont bother me.

3 25.00%
  • SuSE

1 8.33%
  • SuSE

0 0%
  • SuSE, because it owns

3 25.00%
  • SuSE, because it owns

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Antipoints passed their sell by date?

Banned

Question Have Antipoints passed their sell by date?

I know nobody likes to hear someone bitch about Antipoints, so you're not going to get one.

This is aimed at two types of people, those of us who have reached a point where we no longer notice the gaining of Antipoints and those of us who are still in the chase for those green gifs.

Firstly, do Antipoints serve as a reward for good members or social members?

Or, are they merely a tool for established members to ban any newbie who dosent read the FAQ before posting?

The reason I am questioning the system is because good members no longer get rewarded by Antipoints, or feel any desire to gain more. It has reverted back to the stage before Antipoints when you posted good tutorials and replies just to become a respected member by name, not by how many dots are under your name.

So, this begs the question have Antipoints passed their sell by date?

Yep there ****ing useless
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

But, but but.. JP said we'd be able to trade in our points for AO lunchboxes.. <whine>

*sigh* I guess I'll never get one now..

so yes.. Ennis.. Antipoints have passed their sell by date.

No way am aiming to get into 5 figures
    half way there - lol

nah I have always supported the gold dot idea....once hit so many you get a gold dot where you are no longer effected by aps - cause even negs dont effect the highest earners as it is.....

maybe if they were used to open up dif site benefits or something (bring back banner free surfing!!) or to get lunch-boxes!!! then they might be worth striving for but atm they dont really mean much - dont get me wrong is nice to get pos - not for the points themselves but for the show of appriciation from other members

v_Ln

I'm not really too bothered either way about APs, although I must admit that some members have effectively become "untouchable" because they have so many APs that negs don't affect them (okay, so they still reduce your AP total, but they're not likely to knock off any of your green dots).

For these users, APs have passed their sell by date (I notice that, apart from me, only users with the maximum number of green dots have posted so far in this thread), because you've got nothing to gain and very little chance of losing from the AP scheme. I like the gold dot idea, but then once you have a gold dot the AP system is still past its sell by date because you can't improve on a gold dot, if you see what I mean.

There seems to be a situation arising whereby the members who already have vast amounts of APs can't be knocked off the top (not that I'm suggesting that they should be, as those APs have often been earnt through the posting of excellent tutorials, amongst other things) and the newbies can't really climb to their level very easily.

APs are a way of banning newbies who ask stupid questions, but they may also put off those who are either banned or get negged so badly that they decide not to come back, just because they broke a house rule, so to speak.

Personally, I'm not really too bothered about APs, so long as I don't get banned or negged for really stupid reasons (or just no reason at all), I really don't care too much what happens with them. You earn respect through your attitude on AO and your willingness to help others, not by the number of green dots you have under your title.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    i dont really care about AP's anymore ....but for newbies they mean a lot and we with many AP's have much respect from newbies ...i mean if let's say another newbie replies to a question with a correct answer and souleman or Ennis replies with "no just go to command prompt and type in format c:/ " who do you think the newbie will believe ...but i still think it's nice to get some points from time to time

I really don't care about the Antipoints if i get them i get them if i don't oh well live goes on.They are very useful at times i can say that. lol
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

personally I do not care about AP's and never have done... being over the age of 12 I recognise them for the green/red/grey gifs that they are - but like v_Ln and Memory say it is nice to know that someone appreciates the effort you've gone to to try and help them... manners cost nothing - just like little green gifs

they are useful to ban the annoying newbies but that could be done by mods/Jupmedia just as easily.

AP's only mean anything to those who think they are worth something (n00bs and seniors alike) .... but let me turn this question around..... there are people here with lots of respect - respect that is shown by their AP status, how else do you propose that those people are recognised for their knowledge and respect (apart from people hanging around on the boards for a long time)? I mean I've got no objections to getting rid of AP's, but are you intent on replacing them with some other system? I'm not saying you should but I'm just curious as to where you're thinking of taking this Ennis??

Z

PS
    Yep there ****ing useless
    This illustrates beautifully one reason why I've always liked prodikals answers - they are usually direct and very much to the point
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I personally have alot of respect for antipoints. Maybe that is becuz I have never really had alot of them. The one thing I disagree about the antipoint system is that amout part. If you have alot of antipoints, that means when to dish them out, you are going to really help someone, or really hurt them. I know this by expercience. With this account, I have a total of 4 positive antipoints and 1 negitive antipoints (I mean the people that gave them to me). Now I have 9 positive points. I dont think that this is fair. My one negitive hurt me big time, took me to -1 points for a little while. Anyways, not that I am complaining, just saying that I like the antipoints, but maybe they have some wholes that need to be filled.

-Ep
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100100000010000100110010101110100011101000111100100100001

senior members have been asking for a while for some kind of level to be put in place - the likes of myself, soule, Ennis and others on the top10 earners list as well as others with 11 greenies give out quite alot anytime we assign - I have seen members go straight from green to red (no stopping at grey) with just one assignment....and the other side of things is true as well - any time i assign pos it maxes the bar above post out (post is extremely pos) - sometimes these assignments are deserved but other times it would be nice if you could reduce amount given - like someone who has made a helpfull post gets half normal while a really good tut gets full points........

I dunno if you get what i mean but i dont think that an answer to a question which took the person like 30secs to type up should recieve same amount as a tut which someone spent ages on - yes both deserve pos but do they deserve same amnt?

v_Ln