View Poll Results: What is your fav Linux distro?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Redhat XP

1 8.33%
  • Mandrake, the one thats so easy Tux gives you a hand job...Flipper job, during install.

0 0%
  • Slackware, Because the kernel and a few tools are all you want

1 8.33%
  • Debian, because I\'m leet

0 0%
  • Gentoo, because my name is shrekkie

2 16.67%
  • I like Windows, virii dont bother me.

3 25.00%
  • SuSE

1 8.33%
  • SuSE

0 0%
  • SuSE, because it owns

3 25.00%
  • SuSE, because it owns

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have Antipoints passed their sell by date?

yes this thread does bring up something we've discussed in the past.
    the "sliding scale" idea to allow us to only assign a portion of our points..
    I forget who originally brought up the suggestion but nebulus reintroduced it in this thread.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245875

some very good points were made in that thread.. in fact i think I'll bump it.

Banned
    I am unsure of an alternative as of yet, havent had much time to think of a worthy one. But I really do think its time we reviewed the system, it has never really been examined by those who run the site who are perhaps content with the system. I think maybe we should post our ideas for an alternative perhaps in this thread or in a new one if anyone wants to go that way.

Antipoints don't really bother me, but I still like to have them I think that a system like you guys are talking about would be good. Where we don't have to assign the maximum number of AP's, but rather can limit what we assign.
    =

well I did reply/bump up that other thread in suggestions.. and there's no real harm in discussing it in two places.. it don't take up all that much bandwidth <grin>

from the very beggining there were always many issues with the AP system..
    we have so many topics on AP's that the posts probably took up 1/10 of the content being discussed here.. was it all worth it ? even JP admiited it didn't work out as planned.

what's the real problem with just having a few more live moderators ?

we really don't need the AP system banning anyone.. I say, give some admin rights to the current mods for banning and let the ordinary users help out by alerting the admins and mods to problem (people or) posts.. there is a "report this thread feature".. I use it.. just ask negative

and if we do keep it.. I think tweaking the numbers around would help..
    like increasing the negative points required to be banned for starters.
    or maybe starting newbies out with a hundred points..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I have seen members go straight from green to red (no stopping at grey) with just one assignment
    Not to mention that any of us can effectivly suicide a thread with only a few negative assignments. And then there is things like the fact that if any 4 of us (or even 3 and a couple of newbies) gang up on 1 newbie, we can ban them before they make a 3rd post (takes 2 posts because the first post will suicide before the person is banned unless another post in that thread gets a few greens).

My goal is still to get my name OFF the top10 list, but it hasn't been working very well.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I think the system is valid in concept, but lacking in functionality. A graded or sliding scale would be good, and would encourage new people better as one would feel more inclined to award to intelligent and useful contributions, even though they are not outstanding. It is too "black or white" at the moment?

The Karate Kid bit about "balance" is prime BS!...............in an ideal world all posts would be relevant etc, and there would be NO negs?. Some days the posts are better than others. I feel that this kind of "rule" incites Flame Wars? It also incites "vultures"............look for a newbie in trouble and dump some negs huh..............not a good example, or the spirit of AO, I would suggest? [shoot the karate kid, please!] Anyways, if someone thinks a post is good, does that make it make their opinion any less than someone who gives out 70% antipoints, and happens to like the same post?

I feel that it should be made clear that just because you disagree with someone DOES NOT mean that you should give them antipoints..............In the Constitution Of The United States Of America, I believe that this is the First Amendment?..........freedom of speech and stuff?....negging someone for having a different opinion is really no different from putting them in prison?

Just a few thoughts

Cheers

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    all I have to say is..... good luck trying to get any part of the system changed :P
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Souleman > The system has been changed already... check the amount of antipoints you give out... it takes more than 4 assignments from top10-members to ban a newbie now. The impact of all antipoints has been toned down by 50% or so since a couple of weeks (months?).

well just thought would check that neg
    aint gonna make a dif to your stats anyways - it does seem to be a lil less than what it was but then is hard to tell as is different depending on who you are assigning them to

v_Ln

Hi, I'm new.

I looked around here a bit and everyone seems to be very uptight about points. So I guess I'll kiss some ass and get as many as i can and then sell the account off to some newbie (Like me)