System File Checker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System File Checker

System File Checker

As youve probably noticed when i learn something new i like to share it with the AO community. Well here is another.
    ============================
    SYSTEM FILE CHECKER (2000/XP)
    ============================
    The system file checker will scan your computer's important system files and will replace the ones that are damaged, hacked, or ones that are beyond repair with the real, official Microsoft versions.
    C:\>sfc

Microsoft(R) Windows 2000 Windows File Checker Version 5.00
    (C) 1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/CANCEL] [/ENABLE] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHE
    SIZE=x] [/QUIET]

/SCANNOW--------Scans all protected system files immediately.
    /SCANONCE ------Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
    /SCANBOOT------ Scans all protected system files at every boot.
    /CANCEL ----------Cancels all pending scans of protected system files.
    /QUIET-------------Replaces all incorrect file versions without prompting the user.

/ENABLE-----------Enables Windows File Protection for normal operation
    /PURGECACHE----Purges the file cache and scans all protected system files immediately.
    /CACHESIZE=x---Sets the file cache size
    This command can be very helpfull when you have a virus that has totally messed up your system. Just boot in safe mode and type "SFC /scannow" in command prompt. Its a very good thing to know.
    =====================================
    Also the Recover Command is a good one to know.
    =====================================
    RECOVER(2000/XP)
    Allows you to recover readable information from a damaged disk.

C:\>recover
    RECOVER [drive:][path]filename

MORE COMMANDS AT (http://www.networkclue.com/os/Window...ands/index.php)
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

you will most likely need your windows install disk(s)...

i did... thanks a lot spools.exe - that's very helpful... i'm suprised it's not more popular (or that i've never heard of it )
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I do beive that the disk is needed to reaplce the files. I know that i'm probably gonna end up using this command a couple of times in the future.

AO Part Timer
    Keep this in mind when cleaning up after infections also. Of course if you keep your AV up to date, you shouldn't have to clean up an "infection". There never should of been an infection. But never say never when it comes to computers.

In it's simplest form, yet a very good reference on an over looked feature.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

dopey, please don't rely soley on a AntiVirus for file integrity... although your right, if you do update- there should never be a typical infection (by that i mean by a virus). on the other hand- if my system is compromised, i'm going to want to make sure all my system files/etc are clean/original...

anyway- take it easy y'all
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Nice, thanks for the info
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Microsoft introduced it with Windows 98. It helped me out a few hundred times on computers with corrupted drivers.

I use it often. to recover missing files. Very easy to use and makes work easier.

I magine if u had to re-install your windoz every time u get a missing .vxd file error message

Cheers
    antisecurityboy

I also think that Norton System Works has a simular function. But I cant think of the name.

Excellent information.
    A command line restoration and repair is sometimes needed and those nifty commands can come in handy.
    I have Norton system works installed on this machine and the closest thing to SFC is the restore wizard I guess.
    anyway..kudos.