Thread: Hardrive Compatability

Hardrive Compatability

ok i want to get a bigger capacity hardrivebut i have low RAM memory does this matter ?

no, how much memory your computer has does not directly make a diffrence. But things like your bios or choice of file system (eg. fat, fat32 or ntfs) can make a diffrence.
    Your better off posting your comps spec and OS and what size hard disk your looking to buy if you want a more detailed answer.
    If your computers fairly new then you shouldn`t have a problem though.

nope, but how much RAm have you got anyway? and what HDD are you looking @? ( just out of interest)

the hardrive that i am looking at is at http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=36L8679
    and the specs of the computer are pentuim 2 233Mhz 64mb and 2.4gb hardrive .
    i am also looking for new ram memory could you reccomend any i know its a 168 pin DIMM memory

yea i cant see any reason why their would be a problem with that size.
    One of my boxes is the same spec and has got a an 8 or 9 gig hard drive.
    As for the memory it won`t make much diffrence what make you go for on a computer of that age although a lot of people will say you get what you pay for.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree...I would upgrade the memory to 128 MB as well as upgrade your harddrive. Make sure you shop around to get the best deal on both.

Here's some people I deal with:

tigerdirect

Buy.com

Hope these can help.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani

Hi there my little friend....................are you from the same cube as Tony Blair?

Sorry...............British political joke there.

OK to business...............8.4 is one of those magic BIOS breakpoints, I would guess that your system would handle it, as I had a 233/Cyrix with an 8.4 drive in it once. If you have a 2.4Gb drive at the moment, I guess your machine is about 6 months or so newer than this one...the first I built myself It is PII/266 with a 2.1Gb "C" Drive and a 6.4 GB "D" drive that I added later.

A couple of considerations.......are you trying to increase (1) performance, or (2) just storage space?

If you want performance, push you RAM up as much as you can. You need to tell us the make of your motherboard, and the type of RAM that you have (Make & model of computer might help there) I would guess that it is PC66, although it might be PC100? (You said 168 pin...SIMMS I suppose)

You need to do a Google search for "Crucial Memory" or "Crucial Technologies"...you will find a really neat tool on their website for finding memory.............I have used them loads of times, and they are excellent. They also live AND manufacture in Scotland (so you have no choice?)

You do not say what your operating system is.......this IS important in sizing memory, as their is no point in wasting money.

As to your precise question...........No........the amount of memory and size of hard drive are not particularly related. But remember that a slow hard drive will not give you much, other than space. Always boot from your fastest drive.

I have inserted a new 7200 rpm 60Gb drive into a PI/133, increased its RAM to 360Mb and got it to run within 12% of this PII/266, so it can be done.

It would help if you gave a general idea of what you wanted to achieve, as systems rely on balance, and the answer can change depending on what balance YOU need.

Post the info. or PM me if you like

Cheers

Ok the motherboard is a compaq motherboard it say's System Board P-iion it the memory that is in it currently are two 32 168 pin DIMM memory (which equals 64) with one more available space for another .The operating system in it at the moment is windows 2000 but im considering installing linux in it . Could you tell me what memory you would reccomend i use, i mean should i buy another 32 168 pin memory or could i install a higher 168 pin DIMM memory into that spare slot with the other 32 memory would it matter .

Thanx

You could install a "faster memory" memory IE PC100/133 but make sure you put this in the first slot and if you can try and get the same make as the memory you already have installed.

In previous post people have said that hdd size and memory are not related whilst this is true from a hardware point of view it is not strictly true from an O/S point of view.

Windows will take a portion of your HDD and use it as Virtual Memory by default, if you have a small hdd it means that it cant take as much, in low spec systems this can slow them down a bit, so if you do get a bigger hdd but keep what memory you have windows will be able to use more hdd space as virtual memory hence increasing preformance!