Interesting article found at securityfocus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article found at securityfocus

Interesting article found at securityfocus

I found this to be an interesting article on a subject that is constantly in debate hope you all enjoy reading it.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188
    Linux vs. Windows Viruses
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
    Windows geht.net Enterprise Sever

I feel the reason that Linux viruses are not as common as Windows viruses because hackers and viri creators get more pleasure out of maliciously destroying Windows machines. Windows also makes up approximately 85% of all operating systems in use. Given the number of Windows machines versus Linux machines it is understandable why there are so many more Windows viruses.

Also they can achieve more media coverage when targeting Windows machines.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani

Arcanus Aegis--
    I feel the reason that Linux viruses are not as common as Windows viruses because hackers and viri creators get more pleasure out of maliciously destroying Windows machines. Windows also makes up approximately 85% of all operating systems in use. Given the number of Windows machines versus Linux machines it is understandable why there are so many more Windows viruses.

Also they can achieve more media coverage when targeting Windows machine
    I see where your coming from with that statment however i disagree. When a windows virus comes out we take our windows box off line and wait (impatiently) for Microsoft to write a patch and thats all well and good however linux being open source when a vulnerability is known or a virus comes out there are thousands of people that are more than capable to fix the issue. I feel that on account of the open source that makes for a better OS However this is my humble opinion. "In matters of opinion debate is pointless"

Good point, there are many people who program the Linux OS, which probably does help in the maintenance of the OS, I just think that Windows is so much less respected in underground that it naturally is less targeted then Windows. (Like you said, debate will not change either of our opinions only broaden our understanding)
    ~Arcani

(Like you said, debate will not change either of our opinions only broaden our understanding)
    good point broadening our knowledge is what its all about and thats why we're here Fortunate for us we're open minded enough not to be uncivil usually linux vs. windows is a very heated debate!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    w00t!!! someone that actually knows how to make a link to an article and not just cut and paste the entire damn thing.

and you will notice that there are more window virii, but more linux exploits.... explain that.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

souleman if you like i'll cut and paste the whole thing next time just for you lol

To tell you the truth I am no Microsoft advocate, but I will never rule any operating system. I like many of Linux's feature and I also like some of Windows features.
    ~Arcani

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    BA> I would like it if more people took the time to learn the copywrite laws

AA> what about Mac OS X?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Sorry Gentlemen, you are both incorrect! and yet correct at the same time.......hey i will have to run faster, you guys are catching up viz:

quote:
    Linux vs. Windows Viruses
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

Yes, If I gave a User a linux box, they wouldn't have the faintest idea how to screw it up because they were taught windows at school, have windows at home...et cetera?

ArcanusAegis..............got it in one mate! it is the size of the population that matters......(.ALL: please locate and read "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics" )......it is a bit like moving the start point on a graph from zero.....one can "prove" what one likes...but I know what that will prove to me...............

Bourne: you said: I see where your coming from with that statment however i disagree. When a windows virus comes out we take our windows box off line and wait (impatiently) for Microsoft to write a patch.......

Have you read my account of an online attack I posted within the last 48hrs (lazy about time zones).....new virus...take it offline.......NO I fought that on my ground and won. If you do not know what you are doing and do not take elementary precautions I think you deserve what you get? Rule one: "Learn your operating system", Rule two: "Refer to rule one"?

"In matters of opinion debate is pointless".......stick with computers, don't try history or politics my friend...I don't think that you could handle them? Debate is supposed to swap, assimilate and modify opinions is it not?

OK I will rant no more....................just did not want to see another Linux V Microsoft bashing nonsense thread start AGAIN!

Cheers folks