Thread: this needs a new thread... can you explain!!!

this needs a new thread... can you explain!!!

i was having a problem before... i got banned from an ftp server (not my fault)... i realized that i need to change my IP... since I'm on cable i called my ISP (Time Warner) who told me they cannot do anything for me (which I think is bullshit...) ... their only help was that if i unplug my cable modem for 48 hours then... maybe, MAYBE i will get a new IP (DHCP)... i unplugged the modem for 2 hours and nothing...

now here's the wierd part...

when i unplugged the router from the cable modem and connected my main machine to the modem directly... guess what ... it got a different IP... even if i wait 10 seconds between reconect i always get a diff. IP... but it's always the same for this particular system....

i tried to do the same thing w/ my other system and ...AGAIN ... it got completly diff. IP but it's always the same for this particular system...

how is this possible... if it's DHCP ... how can it care about the different MAC address... what's going on here .. anyone
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Sounds like your ISP dosent want to help you very much, why not just try to get yourself unbanned, or do like the ISP said and unplug it for the 48 hours and not 2 I dont know too much on this being I still use dial-up, if I could help you anymore than I would......

leave it off for 48 hours like your ISP told you to. the DHCP lease needs to expire.

If you unplug your router and plug in your machine then you get a different ip address cause it's a new MAC address, but when you plug in your router back in, its MAC address is still in the DHCP pool so it hands you your same address again.

I think I'm understanding your question right...if not, my apologies.

**edit**

Leaving your cable modem off for 48 hours should allow your DHCP lease to expire, thus giving you a new address when you come back online.

**eoe**
    t.e.k.n.o.

Some systems "remember" a DHCP IP and *try* to get it back when starting..

That's proppably why other systems give you a different IP..

There should be a way to remove the DHCP "cache" of your system (wich ever system it is)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

well i don't care anymore about the ban, 'cause when i plug my system directly into the modem i'll get a different IP and i'm not banned anymore... the qustion is... why in the world would the DHCP server care what kind of hardware is on the other end and why would it give it a different IP ... i assume that the only way to recognize the hardware is by mac.... is there any factual explaination for this... like
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

It's not that it cares what hardware address your using. It's that it records the MAC address so it doesn't waste addresses out of the pool. If the same system is requesting an IP address...why hand it out a brand new, only to eat up another address in the DHCP pool, when it can give you the one you already had, given the fact that it hasn't been released back into the pool yet. When a request comes from a new hardware address that the DHCP server hasn't seen, it thinks it's a new system and hands out a different address.

Maybe this link will answer some of your questions if I didn't answer it.

DHCP FAQ
    t.e.k.n.o.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    why did this need a second thread and not just ask it in your first one? If you look at the answer that lumpyporridge gave you here.. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=249380 .. you would have gotten the idea that changing nic's will give you a new IP address.

and the reason is that DHCP assigns IP address for a certain amount of time (lease). If the lease hasn't expired, then you get back the same IP address. Obviously your ISP assigns the lease for 48 hours, and that is why they told you to unplug for that long.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman