Deleting Content.IE5 Folder In WinXP

Thread: Deleting Content.IE5 Folder In WinXP

Deleting Content.IE5 Folder In WinXP

Back in March, 2003, an AntiOnline Member posted "Really Hidden Files (for XP only)." (S)He identified the Content.IE5 folder under the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Is it safe to delete the Content.IE5 and its contents?

Also, in the command prompt window, I can access the Temporary Internet Files folder using "cd %userprofile%\locals~1\tempor~1\". Can anyone tell my why one can view files in this folder if using Windows Explorer, but not see any files if viewing through the command prompt window?

As always, I appreciate your assistance.

Hi jjv,

I will leave it to someone with the same OS/IE combination as yourself to answer. I will just make some general observations:

1. Although IE is embedded in MS operating systems, it is not integral, so if you screw up IE you can always re-install it.

2. It is usually safer to delete the contents of a folder than the folder itself, although Windows is quite good at replacing missing temporary files etc. that it needs.

3. If you are not sure about what something does, do a Google search, you are almost certain to find that someone has asked that question before..........BEWARE, there may be different opinions

4. If in doubt, move or rename and check that your system is stable and functioning before deleting. You can rely on your Recycle Bin, provided it does not get cleared out on boot. If you are using XP, be sure to save a Recovery Point before you do anything drastic.

5. Be aware that some of these "cleaning programs" can cause problems with IE, certainly with v6.0. The problem seems to be that IE finds empty or missing temporary files and thinks that it is corrupt? A re-boot will resolve this, but sometimes just going into internet options and running the empty temporary files and history resets IE so you can continue.

I always believe in learning from mistakes...preferably someone else's............so there are some of mine to learn from

Cheers

Another solution would be to stop using I.E and maybe try some of the other browsers out there. I use Opera(free with ads), the ads don't really annoy, the browser seems faster than IE, I have winXP and cable. I don't know your situation, if its at work or if you have dialup, I don't know how Opera would compare over dialup. But there is Mozilla/firebird as well.

just a thought.

I am assuming the computer is yours and not a work machine or Mum/Dads and you have unrestricted access etc...

cheers.

Hi again,

In the command prompt window of Win XP, I can access the Temporary Internet Files folder using

cd %userprofile%\locals~1\tempor~1\

Can any $m guru tell my why one can view files in this folder using Windows Explorer, but not see anything if viewing through the command prompt window using the above command?