Cannot find make command
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot find make command

Cannot find make command

I have just installed Linux (RedHat 6) on one of my boxes. I am pretty much a complete newbie to linux. I am trying to insatll the drivers for my network card and i need to use the "make" command. I cannot find it on my system at all. I have searched the hard drive but cannot find any instance of it and when i try using a command like makeg it comes up "exec: make: not found".
    I know some one here will know where i can get the command and how i install it.
    Thanks in advance.
    mark

make is a piece of software by GNU
    If you installed RH you should have seen somewhere "development" or something..
    make should be a part of that, along with GCC (wich you'll also need)

more info on make: http://www.gnu.org/software/make/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

the command should be ./make then ./make install

Also, the make command is usually installed when you install the OS. Usually you'll see something asking you if you want to install developmental software.

You'll untar the files for you NIC card then you go into the directory where they were put then I believe its ./configure ./make ./make install.

I'm pretty much a newb to linux also, but I believe thats right.

Damn jinkxy you beat me to it.
    =

hello every body

cheers guys, i followed that link and i`m downloading a copy now, would i be right in assuming that i can just untar the file and copy the make file to the /bin directory or is their more to it than that?
    I choose not to install the developmental software cause i`ve got no need to program, little did i know i`d need it anyway!!
    mark

I usually just install all software incase I do need it.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

becareful about downloading that tar file. you might need 'make' to build the source.

make should be installed by default, you might have to do some searching. 'find / -name make'

worse comes to worse...see if you can download and install the RPM version of make, you shouldn't have to worry about anything that way.

just a heads up
    t.e.k.n.o.

I'm curious though... any particular reason to installing RH6 rather than a newer version?

yea i downloaded the file but couldn`t make heads or tails of it so since it was a completely fresh install of linux i just re-installed it and selected to install everything. Its up and running now with no probs. I just gotta figure out how to change the proxy settings in linux now!
    The only reason i installed Red Hat 6 is because it was the newest version of linux that i had on cd. I know could of installed a newer version straight from an FTP site but since i`m a complete newbie at linux i thought i`d start simply. Is their much noticeable diffrence between 6 and the latest one?

Hmm...I dont think there is really...
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]