I recently received some cisco equipment. I'm using Red Hat 9 Linux to access a Cisco router.

In class ( www.floridacomputer.com ) we always used these routers for practice, Using the program HyperTerminal that came with Windows. I don't use windows much anymore, so for me to do this with Linux, I use an open-source program called Minicom, it comes with most distributions of linux.

Identifying your serial port and setting the port speed is important for configuring minicom.

Under DOS, the serial ports are named COM1: COM2: etc. Under Linux, each port has TWO names:-

COM1:

/dev/cua0 and /dev/ttyS0
COM2:

/dev/cua1 and /dev/ttyS1

Connecting to the Console Port

To manage the switch through the management console, you must use the RJ-45-to-RJ-45 rollover cable and the appropriate adapter (both supplied with the switch) to connect the RJ-45 console port of the switch to a terminal or modem.

To connect the console port to a terminal or modem, follow these steps:

Step 1 Configure the baud rate and character format of the terminal or modem to match the following default physical characteristics of the console port:

* 9600 baud

* Eight data bits

* One stop bit

* No parity

* No flow control

The first time you use minicom, you'll want to enter its setup mode by using the s switch like so:

minicom -s

This will bring up the minicom configuration menu. I'll arrow down to the "Serial port setup" and press Enter. I'll then press "A" to change the Serial device from /dev/modem to dev/ttyS0. I'll then press "E" to change the Bps/Par/Bits, then press E again to select 9600. Finally, I'll press "F" to turn off Hardware Flow Control. I'll press the Escape key to leave this configuration menu, arrow down to "Save setup as.." and I'll save this entry as "cisco". Once my configuration is saved, I'll arrow down to "exit" at which point minicom will connect to the Cisco router and I'll see my router> prompt.

I hope this tutorial helps.

--PuRe