Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackcode.com

Question blackcode.com

Does anyone here frequent www.blackcode.com? Have you noticed that lately they've gone down quite a bit? Are they being hacked/defaced or is it other problems? It wouldn't bother me so much but I have an email account opened with them and I get emails from friends and companies I do business with.

I think if that keeps up I'll try learning security at Antionline - but I'm going to have to move all my newsletters and stuff to a different email. What a pain! I hope they can fix their problem soon.

linuxalien

Re: blackcode.com

Originally posted here by linuxalien
    I think if that keeps up I'll try learning security at Antionline - but I'm going to have to move all my newsletters and stuff to a different email. What a pain! I hope they can fix their problem soon.

linuxalien

AO should've been your first stop to learn about security
    t.e.k.n.o.

My bet is its a denial of service, though it might not be directly aimed at them. Alot of the current viruses out infect a few machines, then scan the network they are on to find other machines to infect, and often bring entire ISPs (like mine and some friends) to a crawl.

Well, I am going to check out AO for security now since this isn't the first time I've gone to their site and wasn't able to access it. The only thing that bigs me is I had a friend I liked to email, and some newsletters I'm going to have to redirect to a more stable email.

I find it strange that a security website would be down so much. Antionline isn't down so much, and it's more of a target since JP gave lectures to the FBI and offers advice to companies on how to protect themselves. Blackcode wasn't quite so benign, but I could be wrong. I only frequented the Linux forums.

I was speculating that maybe someone got cheesed at the people who run blackcode and purposefully attacked them. Oh well - the next time they're up I'm going to email my friend with an alternate way to reach me.

Thanks for the replies.

linuxalien

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    looks like they are having some serious problems with there nameserver...

[DruidX:~] souleman% dig blackcode.com any any

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> blackcode.com any any
    ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
    ;; got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 2
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
    ;; QUERY SECTION:
    ;; blackcode.com, type = ANY, class = ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    blackcode.com. 1d16h49m10s IN NS ns.bicho.org.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    blackcode.com. 1d16h49m10s IN NS ns.bicho.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns.bicho.org. 40m42s IN A 69.57.146.21

;; Total query time: 73 msec
    ;; FROM: DruidX.local. to SERVER: default -- x.x.x.x
    ;; WHEN: Tue Oct 7 13:37:15 2003
    ;; MSG SIZE sent: 31 rcvd: 87
    [DruidX:~] souleman% dig @ns.bicho.org blackcode.com any any

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns.bicho.org blackcode.com any any
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
    ;; res_nsend to server ns.bicho.org 69.57.146.21: Operation timed out
    [DruidX:~] souleman% ping 69.57.146.21
    PING 69.57.146.21 (69.57.146.21): 56 data bytes
    ^C
    --- 69.57.146.21 ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
    btw, a traceroute stops at Everyones Internet.... 207.218.245.42

not sure if it is a problem there or not, but I get nothing past that
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Looks like they were just switching servers and they had a few glitches or something. At least now I can check my email!

linuxalien

I've seen an article on their site, and in that article they say that they switched servers.

Blackcode back online.

Date: Tuesday, October 14th Source: Blackcode

Hello everyone.

As you have noticed, we've been down for the last few days. We've swithced servers and I hope everything will run fine now. If you find anything not working as it should, please tell us so we'll fix it.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Pablo (Melkor).
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

well does that solve your problem

p.s. are they aware there is a problem??
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

Hehehe...all is well @ blackcode, I'm a mod there, we are very aware of the *problems*. To give you a little info, it hasn't been a ddos attack for the last month, we have been switching servers is all, and it took more time than it should have to get everything over. I am not sure why it is down tonight, as I just got online -- if you have any more questions if it doesn't come back up by tomorrow, feel free to PM me, or you can go to the bc irc and ask one of the idlers there (as of late it too has been dead, because pablo/melkor took it offline, and we don't have a true bc irc server set up, but we are linked through irc.litewired.com /j #blackcode)

We did a couple of months ago have a little **** named martinipop dosing the, and possibly another gimp, but they have been taken care of.

Star****ers|Inc
    I forgot, as mentioned, any tracert to blackcode's site will die out around hop 15, but regardless of this I could still connect to the site when it was up. Right now the site doesn't even respond so...if I catch some news tonight I'll try to remember to post it here.

Edit: Sorted http://www.blackcode.com is back online

Thanks for the info Star*****er. I plan on using both Blackcode and Anti - that way I cover all my bases. One of these times I'll hopefully have enough info for my LUG to do wargames. We've played with the idea of teaching a security lesson by one group setting up and monitoring a server as normally done, and another try and break into it. Everyone is busy and whatnot though... it hasn't happened yet. Anyhow, I'll make note of that IRC server. I like using Xchat and that would probably work best, though I'm willing to do the webIRC if that's all that's available. Laters!

linuxalien