Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: they are watching me

Now might be a good time to get some legal advice? I do not see how connecting a device to their network substantiates what they are accusing you of? Particularly as you are apparently authorised to use this network anyway? I smell a cover up?

Good Luck

they are watching you write this post ......................
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

HANDzCLEANx

You are wrong _ _ I am watching them
    .............. .......... |

Hey manchur..............don't you have any student society or "barrack room lawyers?" You cannot go belly up on this one or they WILL have you.

Take care

Hey HANDzCLEANx,

How do you rate SA's chances in the World Cup?

Cheers

Banned
    Fight Fight Fight wm all.
    suck up to em all somthing cronic... :P

Nightfalls_Girl

mnchur: I understand your frustration and concerns. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to provide some ideas and maybe help you with some resources. If you were one of my students here--and this was your first offense--I'd have had a talk with you, discussed why you don't disconnect my systems from the network, and probably ended up getting you an IP reservation for your laptop so you could use it (we do have a laptop policy in place at this time).

We don't make a big issue out of this on the first offense unless there was a significant liability for the college involved (copyright, piracy cops breaking down the doors, etc.), there has been significant disruption of the network, or evidence of attempts to hack systems or servers.

Once again, get and read the code of conduct and AUP. Make sure you understand what is there. Then, PM me. I'll listen. I'll be on and off all weekend.

I think everyone that wants to help him take a second look. I am an admin for a school. Our policy states no unauthorized equipment is to be plugged into our network. Although I don't volunteer the reasons I will explain to students why if they should actually ask. The reasons are obviou. It also states what will happen if you do. All the students read it and signed it.

Although we have never sued any students many have been expelled for attempted cracking of the network... ie running a sniffer from a laptop.

There are ways though to prevent it. All of my switches are hard coded with the ALLOWED mac's. So even if a student was to plug in his laptop and static his own IP address he won;t see anything except maybe what ons on the port the lab is using.

I would almost bet my career that we are only hearing half the story. I would also bet a P2P program like Kazaa was involved.

well man I dont use laptops......... let alon take advatege of my School's network..... I set up 1/2 of it with my frnds.... then almost got expeled coz I took over it :P from a pc that we hid in a room.... they havent fount it till now... lol... that Box controles the whole network.. it is a back door.... they hired a wanabe IT pro... lool he didnt even C the box..... this is nice.. this box is alsp connected to another LAN... my frnd lives near the school so u can get the picture...:: he put it thou his cable to the net ::.. so I can ssl almost all the PC's from my house.... + I get the bonus of all the grade reports...+test + papers... look anything on a pc on the lan is in my hands...... the IT dude... didnt even pass the proxy... dumbass.... he finished college tho still dum as a log....another good thing..... only 5 ppl know of the back door... my dad... helped me alot ...me... my frnd(the 1 who lives near the school)... &my bussness parters..... :we sell tests ,and shange grade reports:.. this is preatty lucrative tho..

Originally posted here by maxim_86ualb2
    well man I dont use laptops......... let alon take advatege of my School's network..... I set up 1/2 of it with my frnds.... then almost got expeled coz I took over it :P from a pc that we hid in a room.... they havent fount it till now... lol... that Box controles the whole network.. it is a back door.... they hired a wanabe IT pro... lool he didnt even C the box..... this is nice.. this box is alsp connected to another LAN... my frnd lives near the school so u can get the picture...:: he put it thou his cable to the net ::.. so I can ssl almost all the PC's from my house.... + I get the bonus of all the grade reports...+test + papers... look anything on a pc on the lan is in my hands...... the IT dude... didnt even pass the proxy... dumbass.... he finished college tho still dum as a log....another good thing..... only 5 ppl know of the back door... my dad... helped me alot ...me... my frnd(the 1 who lives near the school)... &my bussness parters..... :we sell tests ,and shange grade reports:.. this is preatty lucrative tho..
    Quite frankly I don't thinks so.... If the internal network is connected to the net then how did you bypass the switch?

Please only maxim_86ualb2 answer this one

I would almost bet my career that we are only hearing half the story. I would also bet a P2P program like Kazaa was involved.
    okay i didn't get kicked out....anyways in regaurds to the above quote i use linux and dont have giFT installed so i wasn't connecting to any file sharing networks. also i was not running sniffers, scanners, or any other such craziness. I was simply surfing the net and transfering files from my netowork drive to my laptop ( common and easy practice that i was shown by a teacher) anyways i found out new info on the case. The guy who "busted" me wanted to make an example but since i have previous record and did nothing wrong against the network (i.e. spread a virus) proved by his own logs. the higher up decided to let me off with a warning.. all in all this situation caused me a little worry and some uneeded attention to what i was doing on the network ( which by the way almost got the guy fired as it is against school policy to spy on its students).
    chown -r us ./bases

Mcnur good for you. If you really weren't doing anything cept xferring your files then I don't see why they would care. You must have what I call a Network Nazi for an admin. The students that do it where I work I allow the connection unofficially but like I said they can't go anywhere or do anything except transfer files from a pc. I run snort and various other IDS's, squid with squidgurad and sarg and a few other apps so I pretty much know everything going on. Yes I know I am taking a chance by allowing certain things to happen but then again I call it job security