Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: they are watching me

they are watching me

hey,

could someone walk me through secureing my suse 8.2 laptop against people monitering my web traffic? i have recently fallen in bad with the IS dept at my school and i know they are watching what i do on the networks...i tried a proxy of course but since i am connecting to the internet through a lan they can still track me around campus and see where i am putting request into....so i want to encrypt my webtraffic or something any suguestions?

THANKS
    chown -r us ./bases

Its not going to matter much, since you still have to connect through their network to get to the internet. The only realy encrypted traffic you can use that I can think of right off the top of my head would be SSH, but I doubt you want to email with pine, surf with lynx, and write with vi when you could enjoy a gui interface. Best advice would be to get back in their good graces, because circumventing their monitoring efforts wont make them very happy.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    yup, using ssh or making it so every website you visit is https, not http.

But then, unless you are doing something you shouldn't be, it shouldn't matter if they are watching you.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

im not doing anything wrong....but it does bother me that they feel they have the right to look over my shoulder anytime i am on the net
    chown -r us ./bases

mnchur > unfortunately they do have the right to 'look over your shoulder' so to speak, as they control the network hardware, the connection to the internet, etc. Even if its your personal laptop you are using, they still are in control of the network, so your on their turf basically.

souleman > on a side thought, wouldnt the initial request for something from a ssl/https server be sent unencrypted? I would think alot of encrypted traffic would also gain attention to any admin whos actively watching a user.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    syini> yup it would be, unless you found like a proxy server that does SSL, so that only your original request to the server was not encrypted and then everything after that was encrypted.

mnchur> check the TOS (terms of service) and AUP (acceptable use policy) for your school. You can be pretty much guaranteed that there is something in there saying they have a right to monitor ALL traffic ontheir network, and you are part of that traffic. Now if they don't have anything in there about monitoring, then go to the head of IT can complain that they are monitoring you (but you have to be able to prove it).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

they do have something in the policy about monitering the traffic =( well i guess i will either have to put up with it until they stop or try and talk them out of doing it neither of which is very appealing to me......
    chown -r us ./bases

JAP would do the trick..

and since it is java it runs on any system..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

man turn to linux asap..... they wont be able to monitore u so easily

JAP works, but I had a bad esperiance with it just a sec ago.... IE proxy....... hey, you might like it. It caused my IE not to work unless it was running.