Regedit and Msconfig problem. Fun for all.. cept me. :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regedit and Msconfig problem. Fun for all.. cept me. :P

Regedit and Msconfig problem. Fun for all.. cept me. :P

Hi guys (and girls). Having a bit of an annoying problem here.. Whenever I try to run regedit, wether it be from "run" a command console or from the windows directory, the window will popup for about 1/2 second then close. The same thing happens when trying to run msconfig or when I press ctrl+alt+del to view the processes. I'm running windows XP with service pack 1 (home edition). Problem began occuring about 2 weeks ago, I did not install any software around that time. I've scanned for viruses using three different scanners as well as two trojan scanners. Each scanner has the same result of "no viruses found". I've ran the Swen trojan fix as well but ended with the virus not being found. I've reset the registry back to default and the problem continues. I've set the swap file to automatic as well as disabled all startup applications. I've yet to format, as .. I really dont want to. lol. I also have ZoneAlarm firewall and connected to router (although that last tad of information is a bit pointless, figured i'd toss it in anyway) If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, or even what would cause it, please let me know. Been working at this for quite some time now. Cheers.
    System specs are AMD 3200+ XP, 512DDr, NVidia K7N2 Nforce2 mobo, with maxtor 80GB HD and 12 GB HD.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Try disconnecting the box from the net, killing all services running, perhaps safe mode, and see when you can access it. Work your way back connecting things and see where it stops allowing you.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Aphorix, check this link out (solutions near bottom): http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20724330.html
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I take it that it has worked in the past? Have you tried a system roll restore to when it did work?
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

You say you can't view the task list, msconfig or regedit.

Sounds like something is trying to hide from you.

Look at your running processes. A program like "cool beans" will do it, or from CLI type tasklist.

It will show you what you have running. It might also be a good idea to check out netstat and see what your computer is listening for.

Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

Same thing happens in safe mode, renaming "regedit.exe" to "regedita.exe" worked. It allowed me to view it this time, without having the window close. When I pressed ctrl+alt+del, I managed to press on the "processes" tab, and it showed 32 processes. which is quite odd, because I really dont have that much going on, and with all startup apps disabled.. hmm.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Get into the reg and check your run and runonce keys.. Something in there is funky

I'm in the registry through regedita.exe .. im at the runonce key.. and theres two entries..
    1. (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    2. Configuration File REG_SZ WINCFG32.EXE
    is this safe to delete? I've checked with a few other people, and they dont have that in there registry, but wanting to make sure here first.

Banned
    I tried to find a reference to a trojan I read about on Symantec that did something like this. I think it is a mIRC-vector, IIRC, and makes the registry mods to cause this behavior.

I could be just mis-remembering, though.

I did a couple searches, but couldn't find the appropriate information. Update your AV, run a scan.

Already scanned 5 times, 3 regular anti-virus scanners and 2 trojan scanners.