Thread: Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism

Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism

Many people seem to believe that:

- being anti-Zionist,
    - believing Israel is an illegitimate state,
    - disagreeing with the way Israel treats its neighbours and
    - disagreeing with the strange, seemingly unshakeable US-Israeli alliance

are forms of anti-Semitism.

I am looking for people's opinions on why the mentioned examples are forms of anti-Semitism.

Banned
    cos i sayed so...

HI YA BRISSY DOOD

Nightfalls_Girl

If I said that the French or German or Italian states were illegitemate,
    You could understand why the members of those nationalities might fail to distinguish
    between the concept of being against their states and being against their
    people

Israel has been on the map for 55 years. How long does it take to get recognition
    from their critics? In the end, it isn't your enemies who decide whether your state
    is entitled to exist.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood.
    ATTRIBUTION: Otto Von Bismarck (1815–1898), Prussian statesman. speech, Sept. 30, 1862. Bismarck: Life and Works, vol. 4 (1878).
    http://www.bartleby.com/66/30/7330.html

What else can they do but fight for their survival?, just as the rest of us would
    do when our back is to the wall.

HI YA BRISSY DOOD
    had a little too much to drink eh?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    not enuf accuilly...

Brissy is a shourter way of saying brisbane... DARRR

Nightfalls_Girl

Personaly I am sick of Israil hiding behind the antisemite defense. look I have nothing agenst the jewish faith, or people, but I find the israle govement and the "setelers" who streal land at gunpoint dispicable. This dose not make me an antisemite any more then my dislike for bush makes me antiamerican.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Actually I agree with bballad and powertoad (nice to see you again - haven't seen you lately - or have I just been blind??). There was actually a thread started by AFQ yesterday on much the same lines as this i.e. anti Zionist - though one of us felt he was anti semitic (shan't say who).

The creation of Israel was handled particularly badly IMHO, but then I guess with the benenfit of hindsight we can all say that about something. I think the point bballad is making is particularly apt, there are times when folks use the 'you're anti semitic' or 'you're a nazi' defense a little too often. I can't argue this too well at the moment cos I'm at work (supposedly working )

rcgreen... yeah Bismarck made that statement - but you'd be suprised at some of the statements Perez or Sharon have been attributed with - I'll see if I can find them later - but they're just as bloody

like everyone else I'd like to say I am also not anti Jewish - in fact technically I am jewish. My great grandmother on my mothers side was jewish and in case you don't know the inheritance runs down the female line. I don't count myself as being jewish because its so far removed from me.

The racist argument is used far too often as a defence - yes sometimes its use is legitimate, however frequently it is not.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

though one of us felt he was anti semitic (shan't say who).
    It was me, you're not gonna hurt my feelings bro.

It was me, you're not gonna hurt my feelings bro.
    glad to hear it bro - never like pointing to someone and saying 'twas them, oh blimey 'twas them..... IMHO I think you were a bit premature in judging AFQ but well I can understand why since his presentation wasn't the best so I ain't holding anything against ya

anyway... it's time for me to leave work and go home to the g/f... probably be back later (but since I've had a shitty day I could well be drunk)

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Perhaps you're right, I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Discaimer.... sarcasm at work....

"setelers" who streal land at gunpoint dispicable.
    Parsonally, I am still pissed that the Norse came down a thousand years ago and took over my blood country (roots) and sacked our villages and raped our woman. The Scandanavians must pay!!!! Jihad!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.