A bug? Or a feature...... :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bug? Or a feature...... :)

AO Ancient: Team Leader

A bug? Or a feature...... :)

I thought some of you would find this interesting........

The question is then raised, is M$ working for or against copy protection..... Because holding the shift key to bypass certain things is a common "feature" of M$ software. Thus it is _most_ likely intentional. That being the case it would appear that M$ is not fully behind copy protection schemes.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi Tiger

I guess that the only copy protection that M$ is interested in, is their own?.............my paranoiac rancid mind detector registers full scale deflection here..............

"How much will you pay me so that I embed your copy protection into my OS"

oops!............I did not really say that your honour

Excuse me while I go and self-destruct

Cheers

Hey, we all love a good conspiracy theory don't we.

Read about this here

In this report, I explain how MediaMax functions, analyze the weaknesses of its design, and discuss its implications for the debate about CD copy protection and the problem of copyright infringement. I find that although SunnComm has gone to great lengths to respond to criticisms of earlier systems, MediaMax still prohibits many uses of the recording that are allowed under law. At the same time, the system's protections are so weak that they are unlikely to cause any significant reduction in copying.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    This is a security feature to on demand disable the CD auto run setting, which should be disabled in the security policy anyhow.

Not only that, but a normal restricted user would not have the required privileges to install the copy protection software anyhow so they whole point is silly.

MS and it's Palladium project are fully behind copy protection.. copt protection that makes sense, not this stuff that would force unprivileged users to install software and force the system to automatically run every CD put in it. The system in question is a flawed half-assed attempt at I don't know what.

It should be noted that this type of CD copy protection would not work on other systems that are developed by companies fighting piracy such as HP-UX, HP-VV, AIX, MVS, or OSX.

catch

Hi catch,

I will dispute this one with you what you say is perfectly correct for a WORK environment, but I think that we are looking at a HOME environment here?

hey, if you bring CDs into work, you should be fired?

Cheers

Banned
    Outside media should never do anything without being specifically requested to, home or office. Especially not installing drivers. :-P

catch

nihil.. I bring CD's (audio) and MP3's to work.. Why should I be fired for listening to music I bought (with my hard earned money) while coding C++..
    I personaly think the music makes me more productive and more focused (then listening to my co-workers typing)..

But indeed the only thing this will protect against is illegal copying by home users that don't know their Word from their Wordpad !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I posted about this in chitchat yesterday.. (well at 1 am this morning) in this thread.

but that's ok.. nobody ever reads or responds to my threads.. I'm used to it..

at least my title was better

edit: oh i forgot to comment.. hehehe..

Thus it is _most_ likely intentional. That being the case it would appear that M$ is not fully behind copy protection schemes.
    M$ has nothing to do with it.. maybe whoever coded the program put in his/(her) own backdoor of sorts.

/searches computer madly: "copy protection what copy protection?" what the shrink wrap on the CD case..

you mean that annoying little message I get when I insert some Audio CD that tell me my listening enjoyment will be improved if the software is installed... ??? I don't want some donkey's idea of a media playa or what ever...

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi the_JinX

You are quite correct, I had forgotten about music!.....I have even moved a programmer to another machine because it had a decent sound card, and he could listen to music while he worked!

I was thinking about software CDs of course

Cheers