Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antivirus software

Uh oh, someone's been naughty!

EDIT: Why do you feel that McAfee is superior to Norton? I'm just curious because in all the threads I've seen about why one product is better than another, I don't think I've ever seen a concise technical discussion why one product is better... granted, I have a short memory, but it seems to me that often it boils down to brand loyalty, familiarity, and comfort level...

So, on what is your opinion based? Again, just being curious....

EDIT2: Ok...maybe that sounded snotty, and I don't mean to be that way.

Case in point, I used to use Zone Alarm...it worked great, except every once in awhile it would hang up and not work properly, and force a reboot. ( I call that the fart-crossed-sideways error) At any rate, I switched to Sygate, and have had no problems. Does that make it better? No.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that one firewall is application based, and the other is process based (don't remember which right off hand)...but on that information, I could (maybe) support an opinion of why one is better than the other.

Anyway.... just trying to satisfy my thirst for knowledge..

personally i've tried a few antivirus and firewalls i try and stick with norton internet security along with systemworks pro with the antivirushowever heard nytech forum was discussing new combo that works better than norton avg is good for freeware or if you don't mind using alot of resources there are freeware programs listed on winsite with popup blockers etc
    On another point does anyone know where i can find hawaii worm removal tool ... unfortunately a friend of mine was not using norton and now even though his system detects it he can't remove it and it is supposedly infecting emails he sends his o/s is winxp pro tried searching for info on it got no hits would greatly appreciate any info given ty

Well to go off on a little bit of a tangent, i prefer blackice to zonealarm. It seems to be able to fit the user better than zonealarm and i felt more comfortable using it. Although i was using zonealarm well before blackice so that may have a difference.

can't say a gave zone alarm much of a chance but evryone has their preferences tried black ice and nitrous liked them

can't say a gave zone alarm much of a chance but evryone has their preferences tried black ice and nitrous liked them
    Black Ice should be called thin ice easily disabled by certain exploits/viruses

even though someone has said it already, I use PC-cillin and it works just great for me. and its free too, so that makes it even better. of course there are other programs that you could buy that would work better and have more features and stuff, but all you really need is something that would do the job, and pc-cillin would do that for you.

Alexia -
    Tell your friend to remove the file named

beauty_vs_your_face.pif

Click here for more information.

k...thanx