Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Net Send

Net Send

Hullo again,
    At school today my whole computer programming class was in trouble becuz we were sending msgs through net send. We were told not to do it and someone thought it would be funny to send the following msg. Net Send * Eat **** and Die ****ers
    Obviuosly this made the teacher mad. His computer was off and he didnt find out about it until the next day. Now I was talking to our student helper and he said that every net send msg made a log. I kinda knew that this would happen, but I was wondering where and how you can find these logs.
    Just to let you guys know that I am not a bad kid or nothing, I was not the one who sent the msg to everyone, and I am not going to try to hack the school network to get rid of the logs. I would just like to know to feed my need for info. Thank you.

-Ep
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100100000010000100110010101110100011101000111100100100001

You could try doing a file search for " .log ". You would prob have a hell of a lot of results but if you take the time and look through them you could find the right one??

Here is a nice article for you (http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/In...leID=3509&pg=1)

It is about most if not all NET commands.

there is also a way to send messages to all with the Username as "/Domain".
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, if they were smart they would use a sniffer program like tcpdump or some such to "log" packets as they pass through the network (with source IP). That would avoid having to have this stored locally and with timestamps, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out who the "evil doer" was.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Post In Event Viewer

Open up the Event Viewer on any Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 machine.
    Select the System log.
    The Event ID number for Net Send messages is #26, from the "Application Popup" source.
    And you will see 1 popup message. It looks similar to this:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 9/26/2003
    Time: 12:59:58 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: YOURMACHINE
    Description:
    Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from MACHINE1 to YOURMACHINE on 9/26/2003 12:59:58 PM

"Your message here"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So, just have the teacher check the Event Viewer logs for the message. The sending machine of the message will be listed.

hope this helps

/edit
    Ya, what he said-----------------------

I might be wrong (it's happen once before), but I believe they get stored in the event logs.

Cheers:
    DjM

There is so much more you can do with the net commands. You can share folders on you computer. And if one of your buddys also does that then you can use
    "net use k: \\UserIP\UserFolder"
    That command will map your friends folder as drive K:\ on your computer. Makes it very easy to transfer files.

I Attached A Batch File That I Created. It Contains Most Of The NET Commands in a step by step process.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Now the only thing about it in the event log is this:

We used terminal services in a test lab for some training. Now I would log into another computer using terminal services and send a net send message from another computer. So the event log will not always tell you who sent the message.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Here's how we do it. Net Send leaves an entry in the local system's Event Log. We also keep a database of logins and logouts that can be searched by machine, user or date. So, we check the event log of one of the machines that got a net send, get the source IP, query the database for who was logged in at the originating machine at the time.

Then we take the offending student out to the back, strap him or her to the pillory and whip them.

Just kidding.

We do process an AUP violation on the student though. They get three, with escalating consequences for each one.

jarrod, but if the sysadmin had been doing their job they would have set the terminal server to log all login/logout event and from there he would have been able to narrow down to a few people. there are probably a few other ways to narrow this down even further but I cant thik of any off the top of my head.