Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New computer and opinion/Alienware questions

AS I c most ppl r with go and biuld it like me

if you build it, he will come.

check these ppl out ... www.cyberpowersystems.com
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I havnt quite made a decision exactly yet but building one would be cool. Ill keep you all updated though. Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.

Originally posted here by gore
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. I havnt quite made a decision exactly yet but building one would be cool. Ill keep you all updated though. Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.
    And if you need any help, you always know there are a million bored people here to help you.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Gore, my philosophy on this is never buy a computer with a brand name on it unless you buy a MAC. I have to agree with the masses on this, cheyenne1212 has given you very good advice, as did souleman. You might look at http://www.tigerdirect.com I have built several systems in the recent past from parts I have bought there, they have several payment methods and have been very prompt with shipping.

Don't buy alienware, IMHO you are paying mostly for the name. Besides if it is just a cool looking case that turns you on Tiger Direct has many that are alot nicer than alienware.

OK... so now you have my 2 cents.

/me thinks gore just wanted to up his post count in this thread. If he is the big computer guru he thinks he is, then he would not have started this thread.

oh!!! did I say that out loud??? sorry gore you weren't supposed to hear that. Damn I hate it when I type out loud.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Lol, I dont wanna up my post count. If anything Id like to down it. I tru to amke my posts actually have a purpose when I hit "Submit" I dont like posting all the time unless it's an actual good thread.

Besides, we have the thread in GCC that has everyone posting 1 liners and **** for post count uppings. Thanks again to everyone whos given me advice, I really appreciate it. One thing I'm still wondering about though; How do Celerons do as far as heating? Do they run hot at all? I know AMD is good for mini PC ovens and ****, but whatabout Celerons? From what I'v heard they are pretty cool running.

Souleman, lol I cant get a Mac with dual processors man, that would make more heat in the case Lol, thanks again guys.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Build your own.

nuff said

Gore: Here is an article over at Toms Hardware about the P4 VS the Celerons. It does mention that you cannot overclock the Celerons much because they already generate enough heat at their default temps. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/index.html

Also another link to the heat temps and Specs of Celeron Processors:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...asp?ProcFam=49
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Well, I decided and bought a new computer, but I also took your opinions into consideration too. I want to give another thanks to you all for taking the time to tell me how you felt about this. I decided to get a new computer at best buy.

Now everyone said to build your own, and I did take that into consideration, at the present time I dont have any time free to do something like that yet because of school and work.

The PC I bought is a Medion with an 80 GB HD, 256 MBs of RAM, 2.40 GHz Celeron processor, a nice graphics card, a CD RW drive, DVD drive, and it has a vent on the side opposite of the processor and fan blowing it out that way, after 3 days straight I'm happy to say, the ait its blowing out is still nice and cool!

Also, the case is designed VERY nicely, the side comes off like with most new PCs, and also the parts are easy to reach, I can add RAM when I buy more for it, because I plan on putting another 256 in it.

Also, some small steps toward actually building one some day, I plan on buying and Nvidia card for it after I get more money. I like Nvidia I also bought another NIC the day I bought this because I plan on installing things besides Windows on it and I wasnt sure how Linux and BSD would take the integrated NIC it has in it, even though my friend said his worked fine under Linux.

The extra NIC I bought is a Dlink and is a VERY nice card, and was fairly cheap too at $20. Also there is a nice amount of open slots in the Machine for upgrading so Im happy about that. When my cousin pays me the rest of the money for an MP3 player I sold him I'm buying ANOTHER Sound Blaster card for this machine too.

I'm extremly happy with the Sound Blaster Live! card I have in my Linux box and so I decided another Soundblaster is a good idea. The PC itself I got dirt cheap, it was under 600 dollars for the PC, a Cat5E cable, and the 17 inch flat screen monitor I bought for it.

The Monitor OWNS, it has a button you can push when your playing Unreal Tournament to give a more vivid picture and wider screen..... Hehe, the sub woofers I bought for this PC rock, you can tell if I'm winning at Unreal Tournament or not down the road.

Basically I got a PC that was not only good, but a good price, and also with everyone saying to build it, it has alot of options I can do because I really dont have time to build one right now. Also, a really cool feature I like, the case has a sliding door, you push a button and it slides down by itself and shows the floppy drive, a game stick or joy stick port, 3 USB ports, and a firewire port.

Also there arel ike 3 more on the back. Im very happy with this new PC. I did look at the Celeron page but after buying and using this, the thing shows no lag whatsoever. It actually seems to outperform the AMD Athlon XP 2600+ sitting right next to it! And THAT PC has 512 MBs of RAM. Anyway, I wanna thank you all again very much. I appreciate you!

Well man I c u found what is best for U but as for the Celeron....... I dont think it was a good Idea..... u will find it out later....after 1 month or 2........ everything else is good