Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: net send incident

Elite Hacker

net send incident

I was at school(college) in my computer science class. I like to send messages to other people with the net send command from the command prompt. Anyways, I sent someone a message trying to tell them how to see all the domains at the university, here is what I typed:

net send computername type net view /domain

where computername is the netbios name of the comp i was sending the message to and "type net view /domain"
    was supposed to be the message. Well apparently it didn't take the /domain as part of the message, but took it as me wanting the message sent to the whole domain. When I hit enter every computer in the room made a little ding noise when the message popped up, including my professors. He was writing on the board at the time and when he went back to his computer he just said I don't know what that is and just clicked the X on the popup box. After talking to someone after class they said there are 200 computers on that domain. Hopefully I won't get into trouble, I was just trying to send it to the one person. I guess I'll find out on friday if I'm in trouble. Anyways, I just thought that was a funny story and that you all would get a kick out of it.
    Hope it made you feel smart.

instead of /domain i belive that you can use "*" instead. Aslo you said "net view /domain"
    when I belive that you ment "NET SEND /DOMAIN".
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Elite Hacker
    I was trying to send a message to the person telling them how to see the domains at my school
    which would be net view /domain
    if I used net send * it probably would have gone to all ten domains instead of the one my comp was on and that would have been worse. Anyways, I wasn't really asking how to do anything I was just sharing a funny and embarrasing story. But thanks anyways.

I don't know why you would get in trouble for that...

That is exactly why we have the messenger service disabled.

I had an instance where a teller was just joking around with another teller and sent them a message... something like: "I'm going to rob you and then go to the racetrack to play some slots." Well, the message didn't go to the intended person, but instead went to a whole subnet. My phone started ringing off the hook. They were all bugged out and I told them that I knew who it was and I'd take care of it. I called the person and scared the living sh17 out of her, and told her that the President called wanting to know who was sending messages like that. She never tried it again...

But then again... after that instance, I just killed the messenger service on all workstations.

It isn't that useful and we only really used it to let users know that their logon hours were expired and that they'd have to save all work and then logoff. Then they got the boot 5 min later.

BTW: If you don't want all of your computers showing up with the "net view" command... simply disable the computer browser service. That computer will no longer show up, nor will it be able to participate in browser elections. (You don't need workstations to do that anyway.)

Elite Hacker
    So is there a chance I'll get yelled at.

the message everyone got was:
    type net view

that isn't bad. Hopefully they will think nothing of it.
    I'm still kindof scared they might get mad.

LOL< when i did a net send /domain the teacher had his computer up on an projector and when i het enter i have every computer in the room make a ding sound. Then i looked up at the projector screen and there was my message. Lol, i just tried not to smile.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Elite Hacker
    spools.exe wrote:
    LOL< when i did a net send /domain the teacher had his computer up on an projector and when i het enter i have every computer in the room make a ding sound. Then i looked up at the projector screen and there was my message. Lol, i just tried not to smile.
    were you quoting me or did this happen to you also?

The same thing has happened to me at school, the computer admin thought he was good and the school is secure, i sent the message "Ha ha i know you passwords" he got it on his laptop the same with every one else in the school. He lectured me for about half an hour "You wont get into my laptop again i assure you that" its pretty sad how he auctly thought i "hacked" his laptop.
    Signature image is too tall!

Hi h3r3tic

Last time I came across that was 1982.....IBM system 38 mid-range OS38/RPG III

Our senior operator was doing a command language programming course (CLP.....mainframers probably call it OCL) He sent a message to all 176 branches telling them that they had to log off in 30 minutes...........The sales director came storming round................I said "we have a UPS that lasts for 30 minutes............12 minutes have elapsed, and I still have to hear from 130 of your guys"............I think that the "bastard sysadmin from Michegan" would have been proud of me.................I got him to send a memo to his guys telling them to sharpen up

I modded the proggy so it only sent the message to the system console in future

Good luck

Elite Hacker
    How would you go about disabling the net send command on a network. If two computers have it shouldn't they be able to use it no matter what? Or do you have all traffic routed through one central computer and filter the stuff on that computer? That seems like the solution, only, with what little knowledge i have I don't know if it's possible.

edit
    another question, if a remote comp has port 139 open, can you do a net send to that comp?
    If so, that wouldn't be illegal would it, because you're not actually accessing their computer, you are just sending them a message?

thanks for the replies.