Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: net send incident

Its very easy. Go To START MENU>>RUN>>TYPE "SERVICES.MSC"
    Richt click on "Messanger" and goto properties.
    Set StartUp Type to DISABLED and click the stop button.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Elite Hacker
    wouldn't that only disable it on your computer, and everyone else on the network would still be able to use it?
    That's how I see it. I may be wrong though.

you can have it done through you ISP i belive. If not you have to disable it on each computer by hand. Or atleast thats what i've come to belive.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

you can also use disable it in group policy.

Here is a decent little guide...

http://iatservices.missouri.edu/tech...e-sharing.html

Does sending files is no longer supported meen my service provider doesn't allow it?

Elite Hacker
    Thanks for the link phisphreek80, but I didn't really understand it. I found one that I did understand though http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_removal.htm.

another question, if a remote comp has port 139 open, can you do a net send to that comp?
    what about the question above. Does anyone know the answer.
    thanks.

edit

Does sending files is no longer supported meen my service provider doesn't allow it?
    who is your service provider and what program were you trying to send a file with?
    need more details to answer.

I tried doing the stuff on the link I posted above but it didn't work. So I still don't know how to disable the messenger service without going to each individual computer and doing it manually.

1. Right-click the appropriate OU; ensure that Advanced Features is checked in the View menu.
    2. Click the Group Policy tab.
    3. Click Add.
    4. Click the All Policy tab.
    5. Click IATS DISABLE Messenger.
    6. Click OK.

this is from the site that phisphreek80 posted and I have no clue what it means. It seems to be specific to their systems or something. If someone can explain the above or give a better solution I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Also, my question about doing a net send to remote computers with port 139 open ( is it possible?) is still up for grabs. I don't really want to try it because it doesn't seem smart I just want to know.
    Thanks

hhehehehehe nice work just kidding hope you dont get into trouble there sa help command in the command shell which can help you how to handle the NET command try net /? so you can see the command that you can use and try google for more information

I work for a major airline and the same thing happened to me. I wanted to send a insulting message to one of my coworkers who didn't even know there was such a thing as messenger service but it gave me an error so I used the /? switch and one of the things mentioned was the /domain switch that I used next (my god, what was I thinking then) I knew I had made a mistake as soon as I hit enter but it was to late....
    2 minutes later someone from IT came rushing over asking my coworker if he was sending messages (because his name was in the message), I told them it wasn't him and they looked at me and said: Oh no it's you again!!!! Why is it always you when stuff like this is happening???
    Anyway luckily for me they smiled and went back to work, so next time I will be more carefull.
    Funny thing is that my coworker never saw the message because his computer (2 desks away) was in another domain but a whole lot of other people in the building did.

another question, if a remote comp has port 139 open, can you do a net send to that comp?
    Only if they have the messenger service running.

this is from the site that phisphreek80 posted and I have no clue what it means. It seems to be specific to their systems or something. If someone can explain the above or give a better solution I'd be greatly appreciative.
    That info I gave you is for an active directory environment. You need to be admin to do it. Group policy grants users and groups certain permissions. You can also use it to kill a lot of services.

Elite Hacker
    Looks like I'm not the only one who this has happened to.
    phisphreek80, i'm still lost but since I only have 3 computers with windows and one is 98(which makes disabling the messenger out of the question(even though it doesn't seem to be working), leaving only two computers to disable I can see no reason why I can't do it manually. I just wanted to know how to do it from one comp for future reference. Did you look at the link I posted, because it seems like it would work but it didn't.
    Oh well, thank you all for your input.