Another php question - sessions

Thread: Another php question - sessions

Question Another php question - sessions

Hi I have another php related question

I just made a login system for my web - login.php, checklogin.php.. etc. I also have a lougout.php. Everything works fine (AFAIK) and what I want to know is how to solve this situation - someone forgot to click on logout when quiting the web? I think that this can be done by monitoring user activity on web. I mean update the time of last click on anything. And in checklogin then check if the time of a last click isn't too old.

If this solution is right - how can I see if user has click on something (there should be some http request every time a link is clicked, right?).
    And the last question - what things should I pay attention to in this login system? I mean how can it be defeated, tricked, whatever...

Thanx
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

watch out for the way you check the validity of your login. For example. If you check the users passwords in a function that returns the vlaue true to a variable named 'passcheck' someone could pass 'that value to your script and defeat your login process.

One way that you could protect against this, and solve your session problem is create a login database. When someone's password is checked it creates a random number that can be checked as they move from page to page. Every time it is checked, a new time stamp is also placed in the data base. If this time stamp is over a certain lenght of time, then the login is timed out. To do house keeping you could use a cron job to clean out the login database once a day or so.

Hope this helps.

DeafLamb

Webius Designerous Indiginous

thanx

Thanx fot your answers guys..

watch out for the way you check the validity of your login. For example. If you check the users passwords in a function that returns the vlaue true to a variable named 'passcheck' someone could pass 'that value to your script and defeat your login process.
    But he has to know the now the name of that variable, right?

I've already read it. Thanx
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

yes they would have to know the name of the variable. You would be surprised though how easy it can be to guess the names of variables used for common purposes.

DeafLamb