pocket pc security

Thread: pocket pc security

pocket pc security

Whats up. I was wondering how secure pocket pcs are. I am an inventory manager at a warehouse and we have 3 pocket pcs that are connected to our network so we can scan in inventory.

They are run with windows and with a little work, i have seen the ip address of the network, accessed file explorer, and am able to change the settings of the connection between the scanner and the network.

Is it possible for someone to hack the main network via information given by the pocket pc?
    Maybe i will think of one later.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Information used by your pocket pc to access the network can indeed be used to hack the network if someone can get it. Also programs you use on the pocket pc may have poorly secured passwords or files with sensitive data that can also be used against you.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

how would someone go about hacking it and how could i prevent it
    Maybe i will think of one later.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Your biggest problem with it is it's physical security. It's small and very easy to steal. You might look into what sensitive information is held on it and how you can go about encrypting it. The next problem is if it has wireless network connectivity....I'm not sure how exactly that can be helped or what the exact issues are but I'll look into it in my spare time.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

pocket pc's running microsoft pocket pc os can somehow offer you a sort of security, you can use VPN for your pocket PC's connection to your network, VPN connection gives you an audit trail on who and when a particular pocket PC logged in to your network, that gives ya clues in tracing.

as for e-mail security the Pocket PC implements the ability to authenticate the user before allowing the user to send e-mail. The authentication method supported is called Secure Password Authentication (SPA) which MSN and Exchange support. This feature allows remote users to send e-mail through a server without opening that e-mail server up to spammer abuse.

So if you are requiring more advanced security in your network, the Pocket PC access will vary from no access to limited access to network resources.

Another way you could secure them, is by using biometrics. Thehp5550 offers that. I'm sure you already have the handhelds so you wouldn't be buying more.

But if your handhelds are communicating via wireless, then all it would take is someone sitting close by and with the right tools sniff your network and capture that data. Like Juridian stated, physical security is definately be an issue, because of size.
    t.e.k.n.o.