Thread: Linksys befw11s4

Linksys befw11s4

I cant for the life of me get my new Linksys befw11s4 router to work with my computer and my dsl connection. I did everything according to the directions. My computer uses Windows XP, I'm just trying to connect via CAT 5 cables. The cables are sound (first thing I checked). I configured the modem through XP before I got the router so I could access the web, could that be the problem? Should I delete my previous configuration completely? Phoneline to modem to router to computer, right? I mean, I've tried EVERYTHING. When it tells me to enter the ip http://192.168.1.1 nothing happens, the computer says I'm not hooked up to the internet. Any help would be appreciated!
    sorry

I had the same problem when I first set up a connection using my Linksys router, messed around with it for an hour, then I realize there was an installation software disk. Popped it in, went through a few installation processes, 10 minutes later, bam, it worked. Just a thought because I noticed you didnt mention anything about installing software or anything, could have just been left out.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Well I bought it from my friend for a significant discount. He failed to give me the CD . I will get it and respond a soon as I try again. I just figured that since I could connect directly to my modem without outside software I could do the same with the router. thanx, I would have been on my comp all night.

that deserves a greenie!
    sorry

I don't know for sure because I don't own a Linksys router (yet!) nor did I bother to visit their site, but you could probably download the software from their site free of charge if you have net access-- I'm assuming that you do because you're posting here
    Check out Linksys' download site:

http://www.linksys.com/download/

Red face CD Instalation

I have installed dozens of Linksys routers WITHOUT a CD
    I need to know what type of DSL Modem you have...
    If you use PPOE, Thats means you have to enter the
    login name and password into the Linksys router.

If you do set the login to persistant.... works wonders
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I have a dollar that says the machine you are trying to config it from isn't in the 192.168.1.0/24 network. I have a dollar says it's still on your ISP's network. Change the network settings manually and try to connect to 192.168.1.1 - it should work. Then you have to decide the connection type. Usually, (IME), cable are simple TCP connections so no "fancy" stuff is required, but DSL connections like to use PPOE which, (as Highlander says), requires the username and password and the router needs to be set to PPOE rather than simple TCP.

Once you have done that turn off the router, plug it all into the system if it isn't already and then turn it back on.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I have a dollar that says the machine you are trying to config it from isn't in the 192.168.1.0/24 network.
    I'll have to add my bet as well. I have 10 dollars that say you aren't on the same network. Drop to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG. My money says that it wont say 192.168.1.X.

You don't need the software disk. Besides, the software works with a USB connection if I remember correctly. Once you are on the same network and you plug into a port on the LAN side of the router, you'll get the admin prompt.

:P
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hoss: Hey!!!!! Don't scare him off the bet by upping the ante on him..... Jeez, I need the ca$h....

[Edit]

See..... You killed the thread..... Now I won't be able to eat till next week......

[/Edit]

Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

naw, you didnt scare me away, just finally got it working. didnt have rip listeners on
    sorry